Sick Kitty Not Eating - Dangerous to feed Dry?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Brenda and Morris, Jan 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brenda and Morris

Brenda and Morris Member

I am battling to get Morris to eat, currently syringe feeding him. He has lost a lot of weight, somewhere around 2 lbs. just in 2 weeks...fortunately he was chubby to start...first from diarrhea, then had impacted anal glands, then vomiting and liquid diarrhea and finally lost appetite completely and maybe even constipated now. Even with mirtazapine to stimulate his appetite, he barely eats a bite, even though he appears to be hungry.

I just discovered this evening that he WILL eat his some dry food (Science Diet light) as well as Temptation treats. While I know this will knock his BGs all to hell, they aren't that great right now anyway and I'm more worried about keeping him going until we get the bacterial infection resolved. I'm just wondering if feeding too much dry at this point will cause any additional problem such as overgrowth of the bad bacteria in his colon due to the high carbs turning into sugar in his colon or something else. I don't want to make matters worse.

He is currently on metronidazole (flagyl) and a probiotic called Digest-All that contains high count bifidobacterium as well as lactobacillus and we are awaiting test results.

2. Yolanda and Goo (GA)

Yolanda and Goo (GA) Member

Hi Brenda

bottom line is cats need to eat, so if dry is all he'll go for I'd do that and work the insulin around it. Have you tried some crumbled dry on top of his wet? That will sometimes work.

3. Nancy & Bee

Nancy & Bee Member

(((Brenda)))

I certainly can't advise you, but lets get you some help, ok? I"m cross referencing to LL as everyone knows you & Morris there.

I do know that several people with very sick kitties feed them whatever they will eat, because they need the nutrition.

Hold on my friend! You're having a very tough time, but we'll get you through it all.

4. Cassandra and Sasha

Cassandra and Sasha Well-Known Member

(((Brenda)))

I agree with Yolanda. He's already lost a significant amount of weight. Whatever he will eat right now, I would give to him. Insulin can be worked around it.

Has your vet mentioned an antiemetic for nausea/vomiting?

5. Terri and Lucy

Terri and Lucy Member

He has to eat--whatever he chooses at this point. You can deal with the insulin adjustments. Lucy has stopped eating 3-4 times now and it's always taken a bit of dry. I think of it as her comfort food. Usually 1-2 days of dry and then she goes back to wet. Hope Morris improves quickly.

6. Gia and Quirk

Gia and Quirk Member

He does have to eat, Brenda, have you tried a wide variety of canned food flavors? Have you tried the grain free dry foods? That SD Light is just dreadful and maybe he is just tired of whatever you were feeding him before. I would experiment to see if there's a healthier alternative that could tempt Morris.

7. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

Some other foods to try - again this is just to tempt him to eat and should not be used in lieu of a proper diet:

Beech nut baby food - stage 2 any of the meat flavors
    Canned tuna - and the oil and water that comes in it (and you may want to get an oil one to see if that will entice eating)
    Fresh chicken - boiled, roasted, even store bought rotisserie - just feed the chicken, no skin or seasonings

The goal is getting the cat to eat and if any of these things will work, then that's a good thing.

Also try warming the canned food to make it smell more enticing.

Hopefully something will work.

8. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

(((Morris)))
    Peace & prayers are with you...
    I would personally feed whatever I could get him to eat.. but am new & cannot offer advice to you because I am unfamiliar with your situation & the Diabetic Rules to follow.. but a cat needs to eat or there will be more serious issues. nailbite_smile

9. Brenda and Morris

Brenda and Morris Member

Thank you everyone for the suggestions and advice. I've tried most of them and he seems just too sick right now but he DOES seem to be coming around. Never tried the baby food though...putting it on my shopping list.

10. Victoria & Sundance

Victoria & Sundance Member

Brenda, while you are shopping, pick up some canned dog food too. Several cats I know who have been off any kind of food (cat or other) have taken to the dog food. Not a balanced diet for long term, but good to get them eating.

11. cjleo

cjleo Member

Brenda,

When you shop, add some unflavored Pedialyte to your shopping list. If he is not eating, he may be dehydrated. The Pedialyte well help rehydrate and balance the electrolytes for him. I would mix it with wet food, syringe it, or mix it in his water bowl (half and half).

Good luck with Morris,

Claudia

12. Karen & Angus(GA)

Karen & Angus(GA) Member

A few more tricks are parmesan cheese, lunch meat, KFC, or really, really smelly fishy food.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.