Sidney's first test / shot. Ahh!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by SidneysMom, Dec 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SidneysMom

SidneysMom Member

Tonight we tested Sid with the Alphatrak 2 coded for cat. It was 20.1. (360) We fed him, then I gave my first 1u of Lantus. Sid didn't like the shot. I gave him some treats and lifted the way it was supposed to but he jerked away as I pressed the injector. I know it went into him, but I know I did things right. Maybe I wasn't holding the needle the way I should have.

I guess I can't use the spreadsheet since I'm using an AlphaTrak

I'm glad the first shot was successful, but I'm sitting here paranoid about hypo, because I can NOT do any other post shot testing until Sunday, when my husband will be home and I can get a mid-range reading and see how it's going.
    Also, Sid is getting his medicine at 10pm, and that's a whole other procedure, and after that, he won't stand for any tests, no way. Then hubby goes to bed at 10:30.
    I can't test Sid myself. It would be way too difficult as he is my husband's cat and it takes two of us to test right now.

I'm also worried about the 1u of Lantus twice per day. I really wanted to start him at .5 but my vet was adamant about the 1u.

Also, I took the purple cap thing off the Lantus, but it doesn't go back on??? I have it sitting in the bottle with the little cap just resting on it. I thought there would be a hole but it's just silicon. Is this okay to do? Does it need the cap? Can the top just be exposed? Thanks for the help and insight.

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

There's a spreadsheet designed for AlphaTrak users in countries other than the US that automatically converts your numbers to US numbers for those of us in the US that never learned the metric system (me!...LOL)

If you are anywhere other than the US, please click on this link for the World Spreadsheet Template for PET METERS CALIBRATED FOR FELINE BLOOD (e.g. Alpha Trak):
    World Spreadsheet Template for Pet Meters

Here are the rest of the instructions

SidneysMom likes this.
  3. Tbarry

Tbarry Member

To bad you and I don't live closer, we could stare at our cats together! I said the same thing to my vet! "Can't we please start at .5?" I am SOOOO afraid of hypo!!! It will be 6 hours at 8:45, does that mean he's safe or do I watch him the full 12? Of course my husband wants to go to bed, he's tired? Lol. I bet all the pros are smiling at us and remembering their first day!

SidneysMom likes this.
  4. SidneysMom

SidneysMom Member

Tbarry, I wanted to give you a tip before I forget. Use a teeny tiny bit of vaseline over Smokey's ear (the edge, the sweet spot). Rub it in really good. When you do the poke, it beads up easily, and is much easier to get onto the test strip. I was having problems with the blood dripping. Not that there was a lot of it, but this keeps the blood beading instead of smearing.

5. Tbarry

Tbarry Member

Thank you. We're here chilling and staring at each other! Lol. He did go to the litter tonight, but just sat in it. I know he's had enough water! Thinking it's his UTI. How are you and Sidney doing?

SidneysMom likes this.
  6. Ann & Scatcats

Ann & Scatcats Well-Known Member

if it the purple cap I'm thinking on, it should have stayed on

7. SidneysMom

SidneysMom Member

It doesn't fit back on.

8. SidneysMom

SidneysMom Member

Tbarry: We're okay. Still have to give Sid his antibiotic. That's a challenge and exhausting. Also worrying about hypo, but I'm thinking it will be okay. Hoping that Smokey's UTI improves!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.