Simba now on Lantus - Home BG results

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by kextyn, May 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kextyn

kextyn New Member

Simba was just put on Lantus after 2 curves with it at the vet over the weekend. They couldn't get it stabilized obviously but they wanted me to do 3 units of Lantus once a day. I followed the advice of a member here and gave him 1 unit twice a day instead. He had one can of low carb Fancy Feast as well as 1 unit at 6am this morning. I received my ReliOn Micro in the mail this afternoon and began testing at about 6pm. Here are the numbers:

5:55pm - 174
    6:00pm - Fed one can of low carb FF
    6:10pm - 1 unit of Lantus
    7:27pm - 167
    8:33pm - 126
    9:45pm - 92

I'm worried these numbers are getting too low. I had to leave for work but I tried giving him some Temptations but unfortanately the only ones I have are some he doesn't really like. So since he wouldn't touch that I gave him a 1/3 of a can of some food with more carbs in it but he didn't seem too interested in that either. I'll do another test once I get home, but at what point should I really worry about it?

2. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

Those numbers are good, too low is when you start seeing under 40, however there is a big difference with a low number on Lantus than on other insulins. If you feel better about it, leave out a canned of FF for him to munch on during the day.

You're cat had the constipation issues? Is that going okay?

Folks on the Lantus ISG may be able to answer your questions better than I can, I use a similar insulin, but my own experience is from cats who have or had been FD for a while before switching so they may react much differently than a newly diagnosed kitty, I'm just sure.

3. kextyn

kextyn New Member

It looks like it's ok. I just tested again (11:05pm) and it was 92.

As for the constipation issues. He was at the vet from Thursday early morning til Friday evening and had a couple procedures to get some of it out. He seems to be doing a lot better now but they told me to use the stool softener for a bit. They also gave me the supplies to give him 250ml of fluids twice a week.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.