Slight hypo, now resolved, not sure whether to lower dose

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Asiina & Alex(GA), Apr 12, 2019.

1. Asiina & Alex(GA)

Asiina & Alex(GA) Member

Alex has been getting treated for an infection, so I've been concerned his insulin dose will need to drop as it starts to clear up. His numbers have been getting lower and today I checked and he went into hypo range (3.3/60) but I had to wake him up to check his blood so I think he just fell asleep and didn't eat too much of his mid-day meal. Once I finished checking his blood he gladly trotted over and ate his food and it's going up just fine now. No symptoms at all, he might have just missed the warning signs in himself by sleeping through them.

I'd finally gotten him into a pretty good place with his blood sugars, although I was waiting until I'm done the antibiotics to do a full curve, and now I'm not sure whether this warrants a full reduction to 1.5 from 1.75 or maybe something closer to 1.6, since I can be pretty precise with the syringes.

2. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Hi Asiina - You made the right choice in lowering the dose. However, given Alex' normal nadir range, I wonder if it would work to just lower it a little smidge? Like part way between 1.5u and 1.75u. It kind of looks like the lime green was more of an anomaly rather than an indication that he's really getting too much insulin. This is one of those ECID things though - what to do kind of depends on the cat. :cat:

3. Asiina & Alex(GA)

Asiina & Alex(GA) Member

Yeah, he did bounce pretty high because of it, although I'm not too concerned and hopefully that'll clear out in a few days. I'll try giving a more fat 1.50 and see how that goes. I hope that once I'm completely done the antibiotics I can do a curve and find the right dose for him, but I'm feeling it's a lot closer now than it's ever been. I might need to inch up even more slowly.

Djamila likes this.
  4. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member