slight improvement then sudden high reading, neuropathy

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Newpowers, Aug 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Newpowers

Newpowers New Member

So I'm back again unfortunately after my last post about a furshot a month or so ago. We still haven't gotten his condition well managed. He was slowly going down, he was having readings in the 30.0mmol/L area (right before injection), and after consultation with the vet and his curve we increased his dose to 3.25 units of Lantus, and he seemed to go down to around 20.0mmol/L (pre-injection) for about the last week. When I did his curve I believe his nadir was around 12.

He also started showing signs of neuropathy which is making us quite anxious. Walking on his hocks, can't really jump, unsteady walking, etc. We had to switch litter boxes because he was having difficulty getting in and out to pee. I know it can take a while to improve, he's had signs of it for about 2 weeks now? So we were working on increasing his dose, etc and hoping we can get him managed. Its kind of upsetting me to see him struggle like this. I really want to get this fixed.

Unfortunately tonight he registered "HI" for our human meter, and 40.2mmol/L on the Alphatrack 2 meter. I don't think he's had a reading this high in the two months we've been home testing him. Again, for the last week he's been hovering around 20. His food is all the same, been on strict canned only, etc. I'm getting kind of discouraged and confused about this whole situation. I'm really wondering what the next steps would be. I will be hopefully talking to his vet tomorrow (they have a rotating schedule so it can be hard to catch her specifically).

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi, having our kitties running in high numbers can be distressing for us.
    For us to help you we need you to do a few things so we are more able to gauge what is happening. Unless we can see BSLs on a spreadsheet we are unable to help with dosing or ideas.
    Here is a link to our spreadsheet. If you could get that up and running and fill in any BSL tests you might have, would be very helpful.
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/

Also if you could fill out your signature with information similar to what I have in mine.....it appears at the bottom of one's posts and gives the helpers an idea of your cats issues, what insulin he is on, date of diagnosis, what meter you are using to test the BSL etc..
    To fill out the signature, go to the top right hand corner of this page and click on your user name. Click on signature and fill it with the info. Click save.

When you have done that I would suggest you post over on the Lantus forum as there are many people there who use Lantus every day and can help you.
    Here is the link to the page.
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/lantus-basaglar-glargine-and-levemir-detemir.9/

With the neuropathy, there is a medication that many of us use that is helpful. But getting the numbers down in more normal numbers will help solve the problem. It is not the B12 that the vet has in injection form, it is a little tablet and called Methyl B12. Here is the link
    https://www.amazon.com/ZobalineTM-Diabetic-Cats-60-tabs/dp/B008G3LI2M

Also with having kitty in high numbers a lot of the time, it is important to test his urine for ketones most days. You can buy some Ketostix test strips from a pharmacy or Walmarts if you are in the US. Just get a specimen of urine from kitty and test as per the instructions on the bottle.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
    Reason for edit: adding info
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.