slightly constipated?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by PeterDevonMocha, Aug 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

I am beginning to wonder if mocha is slightly constipated. She is still pooping, but I don't think as much pooping as she used to, and I believe it's more spaced out. She has pretty much been living off of MC for the past few weeks because her numbers have been much lower then what they used to be, and I'm wondering if that is having an effect on her.

In any case, I know some people on here use miralax or pumpkin to help with constipation, but my question is, would it harm her to have miralax, if she WASN'T constipated, and this was my imagination? Also, how do you use it? Is it pill form, or liquid? How much do you give and how often? Thanks!

2. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

I don't think Miralax would harm her.

It comes as a white powder. Tasteless and odorless.

The generic chemical is polyethylene glycol, and most big-box chain store
    pharmacies have their own house brand. Look for it near the Miralax brand.

It's cheap, and goes a long way....buy a small bottle. It keeps darned near forever.

Start by mixing 1/8 tsp into canned food 2x per day. Add about 1/2 tsp of water
    the the whole thing and stir. I have never had to go above 1/4 tsp bid.

It's not fiber. It works by drawing water into the colon. Poopies will get softer, but not
    bulkier.

3. RuBee

RuBee Member

I've never had to use the Miralax, so I'm sorry that I can't help you there, but my mother mentioned this one note: If you're having trouble with hairballs by any chance, it could affect BMs. You may have already known that, but it was news to me. If you want to avoid using medicines first, and try something less potentially harmful - you might want to treat her for hairballs and see if anything develops. Maybe her problem is as simple as that? Whatever the cause, I hope Mocha's feeling better soon.

4. PeterDevonMocha

thank you both for your replies. Mocha has never had a hairball in her life *knock on wood* and she has always been regular, about every two days. I just wonder if she has backed off some recently (hard to tell with two kitties) but I will take a look for the miralax, thanks again!!

5. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

You can tell by the consistency of the stool. If you wanted, just mix in 1/4tsp or 1/2 twice a day but you must remember to increase the water intake - I add water to all of Oliver and Shadoe's foods, like a soupy slop. The powders draw moisture from the body to soften the stool.
    It won't harm them, and if you see the stool too loose, then cut back or stop it.

6. PeterDevonMocha

I don't know quite how to describe her BM. They are formed definitely, but not rock hard by any means. I don't know how else to describe them? How soft should they be?

7. Kristen & Emma (GA)

Kristen & Emma (GA) Well-Known Member

Hey Devon -

Emma used to have quite the constipation problem. I never tried miralax, but I did try canned pumpkin, which didn't work for her. Her vet prescribed lactulose, which worked, but I was terrible about being consistent with it. I also started to wonder if I wanted to give her something that was pulling water from other areas to bring it into the colon, when she's always a little dehydrated (I give her fluids every other day). I started adding Udo's Pet Essentials for Cats to her food every morning, and she's been great ever since. She's been going regularly - usually every day, sometimes every other. Her poops used to be hard and in small pieces. Now they're softer and larger.

Just another option to consider....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.