? Slippery Elm Bark for nausea - has anyone tried it?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by shelaghc, Apr 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shelaghc

shelaghc Well-Known Member

And if so, what dosages do you use?

While I have no obvious proof that Jester might be experiencing nausea, someone suggested I give him something for that just in case.

He's been eating *extremely* slowly - think 2 hours for 3/4 of a 5.5 oz can - and I've had to resort to opening multiple cans of food of slightly different textures and flavors in order to get calories into him.
    But he's also prone to URIs and has been sneezing and rubbing his nose a lot, so I'm hesitant to give him a chemical that he doesn't need. (Plus prescriptions are freakin' expensive and there are tests the vet wants to run on him.)

So - Slippery elm bark? What's the consensus and what kind of dosages?

(No feeding advice right now please - just info on SEB. I have carpal tunnel from re-typing all of the reasons I can't feed him all the various different kinds of cat foods.)

2. Dusty Bones

Dusty Bones Member

To add to Shelaghc's question, is it ok to use liquid slippery elm that contains alcohol?

3. Sylvie

Sylvie Member

i use slippery elm for digestive issues but, i don't make the syrup/etc with it like sites tell you. i just fill up a #2 capsule with the powder and give my 9lb cat one a day. As for nausea/vomitting, i found 1/2 of a pepcid AC to be more helpful for my 15lb cat that is prone to it like once a week, the slippery elm dis little for him except bulk his poop up some.

Although most of my cats eat slow and never finish up in one sitting so i think its normal for cats. instead of being nauseated your jester's sneezing & rubbing nose may be why he isn't eating like normal. highly recommend L-Lysine for that if he gets it a lot like my cocoa cat use to before i started using L-lysine. i use the pump version with her since she is not diabetic but, for your kitty, you would use this: https://smile.amazon.com/Lysine-Cats-L-lysine-Supplement-Respiratory/dp/B01MZ8MY5J/ref=sr_1_6?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1524084938&sr=1-6&keywords=l-lysine powder

4. JoyBee&Ravan

JoyBee&Ravan Well-Known Member

@shelaghc

I use Slippery Elm for my cats nausea & it works great. Here's a website with some info on Slippery Elm https://draxe.com/slippery-elm-for-pets/

You can order the capsules on Amazon
    Oregon's Wild Harvest Slippery Elm Organic Capsules, 90 Count
    Oregon's Wild Harvest
    rice: $10.84 ($0.12 / Count) & FREE Shipping on orders over $25. Details

I open a capsule & add 1/2 of the capsule to a teaspoon of Organic baby food. Add some distilled water & make is kinda watery. I then use a feeding syringe & give my cat about 1/2 of the syringe. They are usually eating in 15 mins. Please read the information on the web site. Slippery Elm can help with other issues also & it's not expensive.

Innovet 10cc Feeding Syringe 6mm Tip Price: $6.80 & FREE Shipping

Hope this information Helps

5. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

I think you need to try some different foods. JUST KIDDING. I thought this was so funny :D

6. shelaghc

shelaghc Well-Known Member

The good thing is Jester ate a lot tonight so it would seem, for now at least, we don't have to go there.
    But now that I have all of your kind wisdom, if I do need to revisit this I know how to do it.

Thank you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.