Slippery Elm Bark for Possible Gastritis

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by lenistar, Aug 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lenistar

lenistar Member

Hi, all,

I'm hoping someone might be able to offer me some guidance.

My sweet kitty experiences intermittent vomiting and diarrhea, and the vet offered a possible diagnosis of gastritis. (End of May, we had blood work, fecal exam, urinalysis, x-rays and physical exam, and results were normal.)

When my previous cat had chronic renal failure, I gave him slippery elm bark to help with nausea/vomiting. My first question is, for cats without CRF, what is the proper dosage/frequency/method for administering? I've read different things about mixing in food, mixing in water then in food, or making a syrup. And does anyone have experience using slippery elm bark for gastritis/GI issues?

Also, we recently switched foods because the vet recommended trying a new protein source. According to the label, it's more calorically dense than the previous food. I'm assuming that when determining how much to feed, I should go by calories in a day and not ounces in a day?

Thanks everyone for your help,
    Leni

2. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

Hi, I think using slippery elm bark is a very good idea, I've used it on one of my civies for gastritis, you will use it exactly the same as with a CRF(CKD) cat you'll need to see how much he needs, its a little bit of trial and error.

The method would depend if he accepts it mixed with his food is ok but if he's picky you could then make a syrup and syringe it, just remember to try and keep it separated from any meds/vitamins for about 2 hours since it could interfere with their absorption.

Also try and split his food in several meals during the day and try to give him some midnight snack so that his stomach doesn't stay empty for very long that also helps

Squalliesmom likes this.
  3. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

I have used it with great success in a cat with IBD. I mixed it into her food, with extra water added. (If you mix it in the food, please do be sure to add extra water!) I have made the syrup and tried to syringe it, but she wasn't having any of that, oh, no, lol! It definitely did help to clear up her chronic diarrhea, though. I'm getting ready to try syringing it to my elderly gentleman kitty who is having bad constipation, we'll see how that goes. :cat:

4. lenistar

lenistar Member

Thank you to you both!

5. JoyBee&Ravan

JoyBee&Ravan Well-Known Member

Slippery elm can interfere with absorption of meds. If you mix it into food doesn't it prevent vitamins,etc ,from being absorbed? I've been using it for about 5 months . I mix 1/2 cap in a shot glass with 1/2 teaspoon of Organic baby food & add a bit of distilled water till it's liquid.
    I put it into a feeding syringe & give it to my kitty 2 hour after he eats & before bed. I was giving it every day but my cat started vomiting 10 mins after I gave it. He now gets it every other day.( If you add it to water or food it starts getting thick rather fast.)
    My 3 cats will not eat their food if I add anything to it! Not even a pinch! They smell it & walk away. ( Spoiled rotten!) :D
    It definitely helps with nausea & constipation. Here's an interesting article about SEB

https://draxe.com/slippery-elm/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.