? Slippery Elm Bark

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Rachel, Sep 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I'm considering giving my cat Tigress slippery elm bark (she's a civvie) for cystitis. I've heard that it can help soothe the pain and also maybe prevent it as it's anti-inflammatory. I wanted to know if any of you have used this for cystitis (or anything really) and what your experience was.

I also heard that maybe it should only be used short term...is that true?

Thanks for any help!

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Yes SEB is good for cystitis. I used it for my cat Sheba for a tummy issue but it helped her cystitis as well. You can use it long term. I made mine into a slurry and gave 5 mls twice a day. It can be given three times a day.
    I also gave cosequin capsules which are good for cystitis and joints, to her as well and I think they helped.
    I also used a feliway collar which apparently makes them relaxed......stress makes cystitis worse. I think all of these things helped.....definitely worth trying them all.

3. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Thanks @Bron and Sheba! We're dealing with a flare up now and since it's becoming more frequent, I was hoping that the SEB might help lessen the frequencies. I do give cosequin and I have feliway diffusers...she won't wear a collar. We've got some construction going on around the house which is probably part of the problem...with luck that will be done in a day or two. I appreciate the advice! I'm at the point where I'm trying to find anything I can to help. :)

4. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Oh Rachel, I'm so sorry you're still having problems with the cystitis! Hope the SEB helps!!!

Carol & Murphy (GA) likes this.
  5. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Carol & Murphy (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Rachel - I've used SEB for Murphy (and myself) - not for cystitis though
    It's a great supplement - glad I found out about it @Bobbie And Bubba uses it for Bubba's constipation and nausea

6. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm sorry you are dealing with a flare up. It is most unpleasant for cats. SEB is so good for so many things. Are you also giving extra fluids?
    Hope it settles soon for you both.

7. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Hi Rachel! I have read different opinions on whether is should be used long term or short term but some recent info I received said that it is okay to use long term at a maintenance dose. I have used it with Bubba as per needed but I am thinking that I want to use it every day at a smaller dose for inflammation. It is a great supplement.

8. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Thanks, all! Sharon, thank you...yeah we're still dealing with it. It seems we can't get away from it!

Carol, thank you for that info! I'm glad you and Murphy were able to be helped by it. :)

Thanks, Bron! Yeah, I'm giving as much fluid as she'll take. She seems more comfortable today (had a nice pee a minute ago!) and the construction on our house is almost complete...I don't think they'll even be back until Friday when we can let them in the house for one last thing, so hopefully things will calm down for her.

Bobbie, thank you! I think a low dose for inflammation is exactly what I need to give. Hopefully it will help her reduce number of flare ups and/or severity of them!

I ordered it from Amazon...should be here tomorrow. Thank you all for the advice/suggestions/well wishes!

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.