Smokey update, continuation from the Hello thread

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Olive & Paula, Sep 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robin&BB

Robin&BB Well-Known Member

Please take a look back at Sue's advice in Post #20 - ha! I was just writing this, when Sue just posted, and was about to suggest 2.5.

2. Robin&BB

And might need to start a new thread, as this one's just gone to two pages ...

3. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Well I'd rather be cautious. I still don't understand the bouncing thing and how day before AM dose can affect the following day. I definitely knew not to give 3.5. So thats something right? I was pretty sure 3 would be okay. But did 2.5. I work tomorrow so only AMPS will be done until his PMPS. Should I have done mid cycle today? I figured as long as the numbers were okay and behavior was okay, I'd give his ear a break. It really needs it. I want to put some ointment on it.

4. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

The more mid cycle numbers you get, the better. It's the number that tells you how your dose is working. So, if we knew the nadir today was low, we'd know the pmps was a bounce. If the nadir was in the 300s, then we'd figure the whole cycle was probably flat. Because we don't know, we can err on the side of caution.

The bounce is hard to wrap your head around. When his body perceives a number that feels low, or lower than it is used to, it panics and releases extra glucose. That causes the number to bounce up because there is more glucose in the body than there would normally be. Some people call it Liver Training. The body has to get used to the lower ranges and then it will eventually stop releasing the glucose. Then the bounces stop.

The reason you look back at the previous cycles is because if a dose of X caused him to drop to Y last night, then you might get the same result tonight with X on a similar number. If X on a pink caused him to drop 70% yesterday, then you'd figure the X might be too much for a yellow tonight. You use your past data to guess how he might react.

Hope I haven't completely confused you.

Robin&BB likes this.
  5. Olive & Paula

Not to confused makes sense it will just take awhile to sink in. I gave his insulin late tonight. It was about 1 hr after PMPS and eating. I will do a stick at 10 pm. That will be +3 PMPS but +2 after shot.

Tomorrow i will start new thread.

6. Robin&BB

Good, Paula - will peek in on you then.:bighug:

7. Olive & Paula

I have an idea. Please provide feedback.

Since he got 2.5u tonight, what do you think about tomorrow give 2.5 x2 since I can't be home to do any checks and we know it's not to much THEN do a curve on Saturday. Maybe run the curve 7pm to 7am since nights are his unstable time. Just something I'm pondering.

8. Olive & Paula

Started new thread. Smokey's Saga Chapter 3

9. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

I think that's a good idea, Paula.

10. Robin&BB

I do, too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.