Smokeys antibiotic

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Tbarry, Dec 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tbarry

Tbarry Member

Can I give Smokey his antibiotic when I give him his insulin? So far I've even failed at that. Alls I have available to put pill in right now is regular pill pockets and squeeze up. Thank you in advance for any help.

2. SidneysMom

SidneysMom Member

I honestly don't know. I gave Sidney his antibiotic about four hours after insulin. But if you are worried, I'd call the vet and ask.

3. Tbarry

Tbarry Member

Thank you Jen. I called the vet. They said I could give within 1/2 hour of each other. Today was horrible. The only thing accomplished was getting 1/3 of an antibiotic in him. Will try for both again tonight. I have brought my glucometer out to the living room. I Even hid everything in my pockets. Took them out 1 at a time. He was actually laying next to me on the couch....He looked at me, I told him he was a good boy...and he ran! So I'm all set, I don't care what time, I will get a b/g.

SidneysMom likes this.
  4. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

There should not be a problem. The duck pill pockets are the lowest in carbs, I believe.
    Try in a small room with a closed door – perhaps the bathroom.

Tbarry likes this.
  5. Tbarry

Tbarry Member

Thank you.

6. SidneysMom

SidneysMom Member

Does Smokey tolerate being held at all? Sidney won't let me hold him, but he lets my husband cradle him like a baby. He holds Sid while I syringe the antibiotic into his mouth. The whole procedure takes forever but it gets done. As for the blood glucose, we're doing the same thing. He holds him while I rub the ear and poke, then get the sample. Sid would NOT tolerate this if lots of freeze dried chicken treats weren't involved. I should take out some stock in pure bites. Is Smokey treat driven? Is anything irresistible to him? Bribing helps. Sid sits and waits for treats even after going through the humiliation, lol. I'm sending you lots of luck for later tonight!

7. Tbarry

Tbarry Member

Thank you.. Smokey and Toby (his litter mate) were feral cats when we brought them in. Smokey never has let us pick him up. I have worked with him on that since we got him 8 years ago. He will walk on you but will not settle. I f you go to hold him the wild comes out and he runs. His brother will lay on you and let you carry him to a point. We have never given them table food. He will eat a treat once in a while, but can take them or leave them. We did give him baked chicken today, and he actually liked it! So that will be his reward tonight! They both seem calmer this afternoon. So hoping for success tonight....

SidneysMom likes this.
  8. SidneysMom

SidneysMom Member

My cat Uno is like that. He is the highest strung cat I've ever seen. He has aggression issues, and he won't tolerate any handling at all. I dread him getting sick, because I won't have many options. I know people say that you can get cats used to certain things, but I've had him for fourteen years...and he just won't have it.

9. Tbarry

Tbarry Member

They love you on their terms! I'm not going to give up on him. I will do my best to get that insulin in him. I will just have to accept it whether I can give him one injection or two, or any at all some days. So I have the Lancet in my hand , just sitting here clicking it and nobody is running yet!

SidneysMom likes this.
  10. SidneysMom

SidneysMom Member

Let me know how it goes!!!

11. SidneysMom

SidneysMom Member

Sid got his second insulin shot today. Also a little tip, I let the insulin get a little warm in the syringe for ten minutes before injecting. He didn't notice it today where yesterday he winced.

Tbarry likes this.
  12. Tbarry

Tbarry Member

How's his b/g doing?

13. SidneysMom

SidneysMom Member

Last night, his level was 361, This morning, his level was 14.1 today (253) and tonight it was 325.

Tbarry likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.