? So confused about wet food

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Cherish Gallagher, Apr 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cherish Gallagher

Cherish Gallagher Member

My boyfriend and I have been calculating the percentage of carbs in Angels wet food for a month now. We did some reading online and even found an iPhone app to do the calculating for us. - CarbCalc. I just decided to check out the cat food list and the numbers I'm seeing on there are completely different than what we have been coming up with. Meaning we have been giving her food that we thought were under 10% but on the list is says other wise. Is this food list accurate? I'm so confused because every single feline diabetes website I've come across has given me the same formula to use to calculate the percentage of carbs.... and I even checked it with that app I use and it's giving me the same numbers. If I've been doing this wrong this entire time I'm going to be crushed. :( oh and Angels glucose level is up in the 400's again. Going to increase tomorrow morning.

2. Cherish Gallagher

Cherish Gallagher Member

Also, I'm very much aware that patè is best for her but she doesn't seem to like it. Either way, tomorrow after work I'm going to stock up on patè and she will have to deal. With that and the Evo she she should be fine right? Uhgg. So hoping I haven't been feeding her wrong for over a month.

3. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

The food list is more accurate. None of the figures are exact though. If you're up for it, post the GA for the foods you have and I'll give you my calculated ranges :). Also, Maury is not a big pate boy either, so he actually gets the medium carb wet foods (10-14%) and with testing I realize the medium carb wet foods don't impact his numbers as much as the medium dry like Purina DM was.

4. Lisa and Smoky

Lisa and Smoky Well-Known Member

Does she like the fancy feast food? Smoky is not crazy about the pates either. He loves the chunky varieties like chunky turkey and chopped grill feast which are around 7% carbs. They also have the feast ones like tuna or trout feast if she can have fish. Smokys new favorite is roasted turkey feast which is about 7 % carbs.

5. Cherish Gallagher

Cherish Gallagher Member

This is what I've been using as the formula for calculating. Will post GA on a few I've been feeding her.

https://diabeticcatcare.com/DCCCOK/FoodandCalculator.htm

6. Cherish Gallagher

Cherish Gallagher Member

Which medium carb wet foods do you feed Maury?

7. Cherish Gallagher

Cherish Gallagher Member

She likes gravy lovers.

8. Cherish Gallagher

Cherish Gallagher Member

Purina pro plan turkey and pasta entree
    Protein 10
    Fat 2
    Fiber 1.5
    Moisture 82
    Ash 3

Purina pro plan chicken entree
    Protein 11
    Fat 2
    Fiber 1.5
    Moisture 80
    Ash 3.5

9. Lisa and Smoky

Lisa and Smoky Well-Known Member

I heard that the gravy lovers food is a high carb food. I use it with smoky in case of a hypo episode. I use some of the pro plan food too.

10. Cherish Gallagher

Cherish Gallagher Member

It is. Don't feed her that but we used to. It's her ultimate fave. Haha.

11. Yong & Maury GA

5 different calculations:
    Purina Pro Plan Turkey and pasta - 7.75% - 8.3%
    Purina Pro Plan Chicken entree - 9.5% - 10%

Dr. Lisa's Food chart:
    Turkey and Pasta - 17%
    Chicken entree - N/A

Not sure why there's such a big discrepancy on the PP Turkey and past o_O.

Maury's Food list: My calculations | Food chart values
    14% | 13% - Friskies Meaty Bits Chicken Dinner 261

Same | 14% - Friskies Meaty Bits Beef 260

14% | 13% - Friskies Meaty Bits Gourmet Grill 262

13.6% | 12% - Friskies Concoctions Chicken in Creamy Crab sauce 253

13.6% | 12% - Friskies Concoctions Lamb in Clam sauce 250

11% | 13% - Friskies Shreds Chicken in Gravy 305

11.1% | 13% - Friskies Shreds Turkey & Giblets in Gravy 306

11.1% | 14% - Friskies Shreds Beef in Gravy 320

6.8% | 9% - Friskies Beef & Liver w/ Cheese pate 330

6.8% | 8% - Friskies Chicken & Cheese in gravy pate 265

6.8% | 8% - Friskies Turkey & Chicken dinner w/ Cheese pate 341

5.5% | 6% - Friskies Flaked with Tuna & Egg in sauce 263

5.5% | 4% - Friskies Flaked Tuna in Sauce 301

6.8% | 4% - Friskies Concoctions Scrumptious Salmon & Chicken pate 343

The last 6 I use for his "lunches" usually.

CassAndGordy(GA) likes this.
  12. Cherish Gallagher

Cherish Gallagher Member

Thanks so much for taking the time! From what I can tell we are correctly doing the calculating. - minus the Turkey one which I think is the reason for my freak out. Do you think feeding Maury the medium calorie food is affecting his levels at all? I would love to go back to friskies. I'm probably spending $1.50-$2.00 a day for Angel's expensive wet food.

13. Yong & Maury GA

They don't seem to have any noticeable effect on his numbers. I've been feeding Friskies since I started. On 24 February is when I started cutting back the DM dry and you can see the difference pretty quick.

14. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Have you tried adding a little water and making your own "gravy"?

15. Cherish Gallagher

Cherish Gallagher Member

yessssss hahaha so much water to the patè. She doesn't like it. She will lick up the water but won't touch the food

16. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Sam is super-duper carb sensitive. He has to be on the lowest carb foods I can find to keep his numbers stable and consistent. Some cats aren't bothered, but mine definitely is.

Sam used to eat the gravy lovers too, and when he went hypo the other day and got to eat some, you should have heard the little squeaks of joy he made!

It was hard to get him from high carb kibble and gravy lovers onto low carb food a couple of years ago. One thing that really helped was adding just a little water (too much and he wouldn't eat it), and some FortiFlora. It's a little expensive to buy the box, but each little packet lasts for close to a week. I would just sprinkle a little on the top, kind of like we might add salt to our food. There is something about the flavor of that stuff that is almost universally loved by cats. After awhile, he didn't need it anymore, but it was really helpful in getting him to transition off the heavy carb diet.

17. Cherish Gallagher

Cherish Gallagher Member

Thanks for the tip! I've never heard of that stuff. Going to check it out. :)

18. Djamila

19. Yong & Maury GA

Maury is the same so I try to aim for about 2T max :). And like Djamila said, some kitties are more carb sensitive than others. I only figured out Maury's dry carb sensitivity through monitoring. Figured I would change the dry food first and if I didn't see decent enough improvements I would work on the wet food :D

20. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

My goodness, Angel is a cutie pie! Love your avatar pic. :smuggrin:

21. Yong & Maury GA

@Cherish Gallagher
    Hello! I was updating my food list and realized one is incorrect. 6.8% | 8% - Friskies Chicken & Cheese in gravy pate 265
    Realized at the store it is not a pate, it's one of the chunky ones at higher carbs :facepalm:. In case you were using any of those, scratch that one off lol. And so you don't go crazy trying to find something that doesn't exist like I was :rolleyes:

Cherish Gallagher likes this.
  22. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Try the flaked variety of ff... It a bit more gravy like. My cc loves the flaked tuna... Although seafood every day is not good.

23. Djamila

Food is so tricky! I wish they were just required to post the information on the labels for us!

JanetNJ and Yong & Maury GA like this.
  24. Cherish Gallagher

Cherish Gallagher Member

Checked that one at the pet store yesterday and it was super high. In the 20's I think.

25. Yong & Maury GA

Hmm. Just did calculation for the Tasty Treasures Chicken and Cheese in gravy. Getting 12.5-15% carb. Dr. Lisa's chart says 17%. I'll probably still not get it though lol. Don't like the larger discrepancy between lowest and highest numbers.

26. Cherish Gallagher

Cherish Gallagher Member

*I think* ;)

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.