So if cats rejecting FF, what are you guys feeding then?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kellie and Oreo (GA), Mar 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kellie and Oreo (GA)

Kellie and Oreo (GA) Member

I need to buy some new food and think I will not go and buy FF or Friskys.
    Thanks
    Kellie

2. Steph & Cuddles (GA)

Steph & Cuddles (GA) Well-Known Member

None of my 4 cats have had any issues with Friskies. I'm sure whatever you buy.. if the cats won't eat it, then take the rest back to exchange. Petsmart's great about that.

3. Gia and Quirk

Gia and Quirk Member

I bought all the old cans of my cats favorites and a few new ones in hopes they will eventually accept them. I also feed Avoderm, Wellness, Friskies, 9 Lives, Merrick, Newman's Own (mixed acceptance here), Trader Joe, Evo 95 percent,and anything else with an acceptable ingredient list. The best acceptance so far has been Nature's Variety freeze dried raw, they will eat it shredded and dry or with water added.

4. Kathy and Kitty

Kathy and Kitty Well-Known Member

My kitty has suddenly lost interest in FF too. I don't know what the best alternative is, but it has to be low carb and tasty.

This stinks. angry(2)_cat

5. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

I want to take mocha off the FF turkey and giblets. To many people are having problems with it, and I don't want to make mocha sick. But I'm not sure which route to go.

6. OLM Catnip Cottage

OLM Catnip Cottage Well-Known Member

Most of the cats in the Catnip Cottage eat and love the taste of 9-lives. I stick to the minced, meat versions and lean most heavy to chicken and mixed grill flavors. I will fill in with Turkey and 1 or 2 meals a week, fish.

7. PeterDevonMocha

Once I read that one kind of cat food was almost like feeding fast food to a cat. But of course I don't remember ... fancy feast? friskies? 9 lives? How do you know? Those charts are extremely confusing to me. I only look at that carb number, but I know the others are important too.

8. Steph & Cuddles (GA)

Well, lots of people refer to ANY wet food as ' junk food' - they even do at the shelter. :roll: People have been brainwashed into thinking dry is healthy for cats, and the wet food is supposed to just be for treats or special occasions. Ugh!

9. Kathy and Kitty

Kathy and Kitty Well-Known Member

Check your local stores for the old FF

I just want to cross-post from my Lantus Land condo... Following someone else's idea, I went to the local stores, and I found a great supply of old-label Fancy Feast at Pet Supermarket. I cleaned them out. At least I now have more time to make a transition to something my kitty WILL eat. I also found about half a case at the supermarket.

So for those of you facing the same FF issue, you might try hunting around at pet stores and supermarkets!

10. Steph & Cuddles (GA)

LOL I hope Kellie (& Oreo) found some decent replacements. She forgot some pages of her chart, so was texting me to see if I could look up some carb contents. :razz: I think she's going with the Nutro & possibly Blue Buffalo for now.

From what I remember though, isn't Blue Buffalo (the kitten entree, 2%) a 3 oz can? I thought that's all they had.. but the food chart says it's a 6 oz can. I double checked, and it was the NEW canned food list, not the old.

Let us know how your kitties like the other foods Kellie! From what I remember, fosters always seemed to love Nutro. The shelter used to use Nutro, and that's what we mostly got for foster kittens & the moms. It was probably the most widely eaten by the kittens & cats at the shelter. Unfortunately, they got a great deal from Hills (free food) - and went with them awhile back. *sigh* Not all kitties like the Hills. Nutro was always a hit though!

11. Kellie and Oreo (GA)

I came home with the Max cat Nutro and Wellness flavors that are ok. I put down the chicken and liver Max and omg
    Oreo almost ate the whole thing. The chicken lite was not a hit some eating. They were 5.5 ounce sizes. I think I will feed
    9 lives or special kitty too, so these cats don't get to thinking they only get expensive food. lol
    Thanks again Steph for your help. Also thanks for not teasing me on my text signature. ROFLMAO
    Kellie

12. PeterDevonMocha

kathy, I had that same idea, but in the long run, won't they re stock with the new labeled cans?

13. Jean and Charcoal

Jean and Charcoal Well-Known Member

Anyone who is feeding Wellness, Nutro wet, Iams wet, or any of the other brands, can you check your labels and post here if they are "made in USA"? I spoke to a friend of mine, and she said that the new treats in the little flat pan made by Purina, are coming from Thailand. She would not buy them due to them coming from an Asian country.

It still seems that if the FF foods and possibly Friskies are being made outside of the USA, and we are seeing so many cats reject these newly labeled foods (FF), what if down the road, we start hearing that cats are dropping dead due to researchers finding out that there was something changed, or added to these foods, that started causing health issues in our cats?

Thanks!
    Jean and Charcoal (GA)

14. Kellie and Oreo (GA)

Checked label of Wellness and Nutro

Hi Jean,
    Wellness is made in USA, in Mass. and Nutro in USA in Calif.
    So happy news. I also had DH pick up Nine lives to feed too as
    they can not always get the Wellness and Nutro.
    One thing I did notice Wellness is not going over very well and it was one of the super
    large cans, little burgers. Figured if I cracked that open at 4 am they would let me
    sleep in on the weekends.lol
    Kellie

15. Steph & Cuddles (GA)

I don't know why, but none of mine were really excited about any of the wet Wellness. I've heard that from others too. I remember trying to switch them when Cuddles was CRF, because it has lower phosphorus.. but nope. Not even my civies would eat it, much less Cuddles!

Nutro has been mostly a hit in my house.. for my kitties and especially the foster kittens when the shelter was supplying Nutro kitten wet. I don't buy it though because it's more expensive. The shelter switched over to Hill's too, since it's free for them. :sad:

I believe Purina has all their stuff made in the USA don't they? They were one of the few that wasn't included in that huge recall.

16. sommerbethel

sommerbethel Member

just posting so I can read updates...I'm just discovering the issue with Buddy's numbers and FF...

17. Steph & Cuddles (GA)

I just looked at the Mixed Grill my kitties inhaled, and the lot # ends in 37.. I know someone (Peggy?) Mentioned their cats weren't eating the food with lots ending in the 30's. Mine expire oct 2011 & the code/lot # is 92891161 L13851337. Also says manufactured by Nestle Purina Petcare Company, St Louis MO 63164 USA.

18. Steph & Cuddles (GA)

I just looked at the Mixed Grill my kitties inhaled, and the lot # ends in 37.. I know someone (Peggy?) Mentioned their cats weren't eating the food with lots ending in the 30's. Mine expire oct 2011 & the code/lot # is 92891161 L13851337. Also says manufactured by Nestle Purina Petcare Company, St Louis MO 63164 USA.

19. Jean and Charcoal

Thanks for those who have posted where the foods are made. I will be going to the store also to check out what other foods my cats might eat. Especially Ketchie.

Gee, we spend more time concentrating on our cats' food than we do our own. At least I know I do, and it sounds like most of the rest of you do also.

Jean and Charcoal (GA)

20. Suzanne & Grey

Suzanne & Grey New Member

Maybe this will help some folks, although I've only fed two cans so far: Winn Dixie makes a canned food the same size and similar ingredients to FF. I bought a few to see what would happen, and one can she has already scarfed down! She's currently working on the second! This is the best I've seen her appetite in weeks.

FWIW, the bottom of these cans by Winn Dixie say "made in Canada." The consistency and gravy in these cans resembles the old FF. Also, be careful not to confuse the small cans with the similarly labeled larger cans. The larger cans are knockoffs of Friskies or 9 Lives. Only the smaller cans are formulated similarly to FF.

Hope this helps someone!

21. Jean and Charcoal

Suzanne, where do you buy Winn Dixie? In Florida only? Or do you order online?

22. PeterDevonMocha

steph, that is interesting. Mocha was eating ff turkey and giblets, and she now will only eat the cans ending in 3 something, 33 34 35. She will not touch any of the ff turkey and giblet cans ending in 4 something, 44 45 46.

We have now switched mocha over to special kitty (wal mart brand) turkey and giblets, and she is licking her bowl clean every time.

23. Suzanne & Grey

Suzanne & Grey New Member

Jean:

I live in coastal Georgia, near Florida. However, whatever grocers you do have, check out their knockoffs of FF. Not only was it cheaper than FF, but she's FINALLY eating again! I hope you find something soon, I know how frustrating it is. My cat has gotten a bit too thin from not eating and has just been diagnosed as having a Thymoma that takes up half her chest cavity. She didn't need this baloney out of Purina to top it all off.

If others find knockoffs of FF made in Canada at their grocers, I hope they report here where it says it's made.

24. Steph & Cuddles (GA)

Remember, I only feed Friskies.. I know the flavors are all the same on lots of brands.. but FF is too expensive for me. The cans I was looking at are for Friskies only. Some people were saying their cats weren't eating FF OR Friskies!

Maybe people want to try Petsmart's brand, Sophistacat? Their 5.5oz cans mimic Friskies, and the 3 oz cans mimic FF. A little different consistency and I think they use a little more by products in them.. but it's still a low carb (cheap) option...

I just came back from Petsmart, and the Friskies was on sale for .40/can and the Sophistacat is .38/can. I can check the prices of the 3 oz cans, but they're on my phone, and I have to run out soon to go do some TNR'ing tonight. Let me know if you want those prices, and I'll get them posted tomorrow. (or later tonight if it doesn't take long)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.