Something New with questions

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kris10S, Sep 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kris10S

Kris10S Member

This past week we upped Oliver's dose and haven't seen much improvement. I did some spot tests, but was really discouraged and wanted to give him a break. We bought a variety pack of the Friskies Pate (which he has been on for a few weeks now), but he has started getting picky with the flavors, loves the seafood, but won't eat the mixed grill/turkey flavors. I have been using the DM food as "treats" and he scarfs them down like it's his last meal which leads me to think this 12 yr old self misses his dry food. Tuesday and Wednesday we cam home to not fully eaten meals and a little vomit which I could tell was food and not his normal orange hairball and I believe it was the chicken/turkey flavors. I still gave normal doses of insulin because he did eat at meal times he just wasn't eating all of what was left out like normal. Also, the past couple days he whines he is hungry and I put his food down, takes a couple bites and then tries to bury it. We usually wait and then move it to him and he eats more, but with the dry yesterday he ate it no problem.

Overnight last night I left out 1/4 of the dry DM we have and a 1/2 can of Turkey, and he ate all but 4 bites of dry and maybe 1/4 of the wet and his number this morning was 153! Now I know this might be from not eating as much so I only have 1.5 of insulin and then we left out his unfinished wet from AM feeding and another 1/4 of dry. (I will be home soon to see what it ate or didn't eat)

Questions:
    I know everyone talks about Young Again dry food, but what about EVO http://www.evopet.com/products/1441? Seems to be very similar and more convenient although still $$

Also, could he just be not as hungry now that we have been on wet for some time and he is getting more protein than before?

He is definitely not regulated by any means, but I am also not seeing any trends of something working with the exception of when he doesn't eat as much his numbers are lower, but then he whines in hunger.

As always thanks for reading and any advice would be appreciated!

2. Just-As-Appy

Just-As-Appy Member

Good work on testing. It really helps to look at your ss. There are slowly getting to be fewer reds and more yellows.

Have you tried some flavour enhancers such as freeze dried chicken crumbled on the wet food? Or maybe a little sprinkle of Fortiflora? I know its tempting to feed dry, but you are doing well with the wet. Maybe he would like some of the Fancy Feast pate foods.

I am not familiar with Prozinc, but I wonder if you could check in the Prozinc forum and ask about a token dose when he dips low like the 79 you got on the 6th.

Just a few thoughts for you.

3. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

You may just need to find a flavour of the FF that he likes. If Jones doesn't want to eat something - he will go to his bowl - sniff and leave. He will eat it tomorrow but just not today! They can get very picky when they feel ill.

I am also wondering if Oliver has acidic tummy maybe? From the food changes? Freeze dried treats are a great way to help with that.

Wet food does "fill" them up more than dry food.

And if Oliver is achieving better numbers then he may not be as hungry.

4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Evo is a little higher in carb.. I do have some but put it out for the civies. Cc gets young again and dr elseys clean protein. Dr elsley's is available from their website and on chewy

5. Kris10S

Kris10S Member

Last night and today he's done fine with eating, although he did throw up a little this afternoon. Maybe bc he dropped low after his dose. We only did dry the one day and have left the wet out yesterday and today, but he is eating all that I put out. I think his numbers today ate close to ideal?
    Yeah I need to get some freeze dried treats to try, but he seems to be back to eating normally.

I thought the carb content on the Evo was >1% according to the website. When you say higher is it less than the 18% of DM food?

What do you all think of the numbers today? Wondering what his dosage tonight should be....

6. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Evo is about 8% according to their website. Some have said it's as much as 12%. Not terrible. I think you are mixing it up with young again zero that is about 1% carb. Dr elsley's clean protein chicken flavor is about 5%.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.