Special Kitty/WalMart Cat food?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kris & Motska (GA), Jul 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kris & Motska (GA)

Kris & Motska (GA) Member

I'd like some feedback on the Special Kitty (WalMart brand) cat food from anyone who's willing to share, please! I have the info from Janet & Binky's food chart, but I'd like to hear from people who have actually fed it to their sugarcats. Any info on the quality of the food, have your cats had any problems with it, etc....?

I currently have Motska on Fancy Feast (Tender Beef Feast) and she loves it. However, money is REALLY tight and I'm trying to keep things under control as much as I can, so I'm considering switching to the WalMart brand.

I feel bad doing this to her, but she will not be suffering alone -- my low-budget diet currently consists of Cheerios, PB&J sandwiches, and pasta! (That would be the "North Beach Diet.")

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

2. Monique & Spooky

Monique & Spooky Well-Known Member

Sorry i don't live in the US and we don't have Walmart so I can't offer you any help on the Special kitty. I do think however that the Walmart cat food is perhaps a better diet for you, regaurdless of the quality it must be more complete than PB&J and Cheerrios! :lol:

Seriously though I feed my cats a discount brand of cat food. From Aldi (I know there is Aldi in the US too) I'm sure the brands are not the same (different manufacturers) but here the quality is quite good and about half the price. The one I feed I have actually looked up and turns out the company (Saturn Pet foods) has the same address as another very high quality (high price too) pet food company (Animonda) and on the website in small print "Saturn Pet foods is a division of Animonda AG it is possible that cans for both brands are being filled from the same batch on the same maschines. Both my cats like it (my wallet too! ;-) ) and they are thriving and doing well on it so I assume it has to be good enough. I can at least treat myself to a cheap steak once in a while, nobody in this house needs caviar :mrgreen:

3. Mary & Stormy Blue

Mary & Stormy Blue Member

Before Stormy Blue needed low phosphorous foods, he was occasionally fed Special Kitty, (mixed grill most often). There was no increase in his bgl from FF, or Evo canned low carb foods. Unfortunately, with his developing CRD, I had to switch him to foods low in phosphorous and now, he eats a few of the Evos with a rare treat of FF. The other 7 cats living here do still eat Special Kitty, (they are ALL on a lo-carb diet in case Stormy Blue tries to steal some of it). I also feed the herd Petsmart brand cat food, Sophisticat, too. Both are lower in cost in FF and come in the big cans which is more economical. I will say ECID and different foods affect them differently, but what can it hurt to try a small can, or two of the Special Kitty and see what happens? Just make sure they are the low carb kinds.

~M

4. dian and wheezer

dian and wheezer Well-Known Member

before switching to making my own raw food, that was ll my cats ate was SK. I break out those cans for an occ. treat cause even though they love raw, i like to break it up at times. I also feed the aldi brand and nothing with the gravy or chipped,chopped or sliced. they all love this too and no one has had any problems

5. Rob & Harley (GA)

Rob & Harley (GA) Well-Known Member

I started Harley on FF, but switching the civies to wet I went with Friskies and Special Kitty for the cost.

Eventually Harley picked the Friskies as his favorite (couldn't keep him out of it) so Friskies and Special Kitty it is.

6. Laurie and Mr Tinkles

Laurie and Mr Tinkles Well-Known Member

I used to use FF, but I switched to SK on the recommendation of another member here. It seems that SK worked better for keeping her cat's BG lower, and I have found that it works better for us too. One of my cats isn't too thrilled with the switch, but the other two are perfectly happy, and I have found there is less of a food spike after feeding.

7. Kris & Motska (GA)

Kris & Motska (GA) Member

Thanks for your input, everybody -- this makes me feel much better about making the switch. I guess I was feeling a little guilty for moving to the cheaper stuff, because I originally had her on Wellness Chicken, which she loved and it worked well for her. But at $1.65 per can, it was getting ridiculous! FF is a cheaper, but I really need to tighten up the budget wherever I can.

And yes, I would also probably be MUCH healthier myself if I were eating SK cat food!

8. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

mocha also eats SK from wal mart. She eats the turkey and giblets patte? style only because she can't really chew any actual meat pieces. I do often wonder about the quality of it, every now and then I find what I like to believe are chunks of "hotdogs" It's the only thing that keeps me going when I see them in there .. I do pick them out and throw them away. Yuck. She also gets the beef and liver dinner cans when she is low. I use them as MC and she really enjoys them.

9. dian and wheezer

wow! I fed SK for about 3 years and never found anything untoward or questionable in mine. I feed. super supper, turkey and giblets and mixed grill and rarely one of the fishes

10. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

yes, I find these pieces in almost every can that I open. Some are rather large and some are rather small. They really do look like hot dog pieces, not the whole hot dog, but the outer skin part on the hot dog, if that makes sense? Almost as if you were to slice a hot dog lengthwise, and scoop out the "meat" and leave maybe not even a 1/4 thickness of the skin. I hope this makes sense.

11. dian and wheezer

gonna watch this time around. I just bought about 9 cans. have not fed SK for about a year and a half now so maybe something changed.
    thanks for the heads up

12. breayle and jake

breayle and jake Member

With the Nature's Variety foods... does the squash make BG levels go up? I don't like getting Jake anything with any kind of potato in it... but some of the weruva canned has potato starch. I try to steer clear of it, but Jake gets really picky and wont eat anything I give him sometimes! It's actually getting quite pricey.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.