Spread sheet

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Oksana, Oct 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oksana

Oksana Member

Hello everyone!:)
    Could you,please,have a look at my cat Roma spreadsheet.He has been on Caninsulin since April 2016.Still his BG is "bouncing".
    Thanks!

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I would reduce the dose. The recent BGs, especially this mornings, indicates dose is too high

Oksana likes this.
  3. Oksana

Oksana Member

Could it be because this Morning I've switched him to new wet food?

4. Larry and Kitties

What were you feeding before and what this morning?
    Any difference in the amount being eaten?

Oksana likes this.
  5. Oksana

Oksana Member

I've been feeding him Hill's M/D wet with a little amount of dry food.Total 200 kcal per day.From this Morning on Granata Pet also 200 kcal per day.

6. Alexi

Alexi Member

That was a big early drop and it looks as though he did a little bounce so I would reduce the dose and carry on monitoring, it may take a few days to get the full effect of the food change and a drop in numbers so you have to be extra vigilant and be prepared to reduce. If the dose is dropped a bit too low it doesn't matter as once he is established on the new food then it can always be taken back up a little bit.

Oksana likes this.
  7. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

Granata pet Carb depends on variety ranging from 2-5%
    and the hills DM i believe, 18% if I remember right

The difference in Carbs between those foods is quite dramatic.
    I have said to you before, I have no experience with caninsulin, but I would expect Roma's insulin requirement to reduce with that food change.

Another question, when are you feeding?

Oksana likes this.
  8. Oksana

Oksana Member

OK,thanks.I'll try to reduce dose to 2.0U from tomorrow Morning on.

9. Oksana

Oksana Member

I feed him after pre-shots at 6.15 and 18.15.

10. Gill & George

So just twice a day.?

Have you read the Caninsulin user guide Here is the link

Caninsulin is a very fast acting insulin, in the user guide I linked above there is a feeding schedule.

Because it acts so fast, it's suggested that you test about 20-30min before you shoot and feed about 2/3 of his breakfast. That way he has time to absorb the food and might slow down the fast drops.
    ETA then you feed about 1/3 of breakfast between +1.5 to +2

When a cat's BG drops fast, this can trigger a bounce, so slowing him down a tad, may help with the bouncing you are seeing with him.

Take a look at that link, it's very informative. :)

ETA Every cat is different (ECID) so you may need to adjust that depending on how Roma's cycles pan out, but may be a good starting point.

Oksana likes this.
  11. Oksana

Oksana Member

I've red the article.It was very informative.Thank you very much.:)
    I was thinking,because all my family members works full time,so that is why we feed and inject Roma only twice a day,would be possible to use Programmable LCD Pet feeder meal timed?

12. Gill & George

Of course you can.
    I use one all the time with George:)

Oksana likes this.
  13. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Also I would try to eliminate that dry all together and just give extra wet. ... It's very high in carbs, even though it's prescription. Are you in the US?

Oksana likes this.
  14. Oksana

Oksana Member

We are in UK.:)

15. Oksana

Oksana Member

Please,have a look at Roma's spresd sheet today.+5 the glucomeater shows "Lo" which means too low.:nailbiting:M'I doing right?

16. Larry and Kitties

How much time between the Lo and the +6 of 117?
    When ever I received a Lo I always retested. A real low (usually less than 20 on human meter), requires immediate action.

Oksana likes this.
  17. Alexi

Alexi Member

Whoa! next time you get a strange number please post at the time, if it is a LO start a new thread with a 911 prefix for fast help. What are you feeding today? I see you did reduce the dose tonight but it may need to come down again tomorrow if she carries on like this.

Oksana likes this.
  18. Oksana

Oksana Member

It was my partner who did the test.He re-test in 1 hour then it was 117.I have said to him to prepare a honey in case,but Roma's general condition was OK.

19. Oksana

Oksana Member

Next time,touch wood,I will definitely write a new thread.From yesterday Morning on he is on Granata Pet Veal and Rabbit Pate.

20. Alexi

Alexi Member

Print this out and put it where you and your partner can see it in a hurry - on the fridge is a good place or possibly stapled to their forehead as well. http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/how-to-treat-hypos-they-can-kill-print-this-out.15887/

What you are seeing is the effect of the food change and the numbers will likely continue to drop, Roma has gone from high carb to low carb in a short period of time so you need to be prepared to reduce or skip doses if needed to stop more LO numbers coming in.

Cats can have very low numbers and feel and act ok, next thing they can be flat out without any warning. Do you have your hypo kit all set up? http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/jojo-and-bunnys-hypo-tool-box.2354/

Gill & George and Oksana like this.
  21. Oksana

Oksana Member

You mean if tomorrow morning his BG will be 16 or 288 I have to skip a dose?

22. Alexi

Alexi Member

All depends on the number, post before you shoot.

23. JanetNJ

Not skip but a lower dose. If 1.25 brought your cat too low then maybe 1 or 0.75 will be a safer dose at that number.

Oksana likes this.
  24. JanetNJ

Although given that it was back to 117 an hour later I suspect that it's possible that it was not an accurate test. I would say if you get an unexpected number like that that you retest. Sometimes if the blood sample is too small it doesn't read it correctly.

Oksana likes this.
  25. Oksana

Oksana Member

At this moment he has 30.5 which means 549.But tonight UK switched to winter time 1 hour back,from another words I had to inject him 1 hour ago.Any ideas how much of insulin I have to give to him now?Thanks.

26. Oksana

Oksana Member

Injected him 1.5,because was afraid to go straight to 2.5.:(

JanetNJ likes this.
  27. Alexi

Alexi Member

That looks ok, can you get some readings this cycle to see how he responds to that dose.

Oksana likes this.
  28. JanetNJ

I think that was a good call.

29. Oksana

Oksana Member

I'll will.Then put out at the end of the day.Have nice Sunday everyone.Thank you for the support.:bighug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.