? Sprocket 3/27. Amps/ 297, +4.5/303. Still high. Dont know why

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Darnell & Sprocket (GA), Mar 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darnell & Sprocket (GA)

Darnell & Sprocket (GA) Well-Known Member

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/sprocket-3-26-300s-all-day-297-pmps-odd.193160/

Yesterday I posted with no reply from anyone.

Today. Was hoping he would drop this morning and still has not.
    Tonight will be 4th dose of 2.70u dose.
    I did start new syringes this past week which are quite different but using the caliper the same way. Syringes are the same and should be working the same.

I dont know if I should try to take some food away to help?

I give a lower carb (0-4, which usually allows him to drop)in middle of cycles and it has done nothing.
    Suggestions?

2. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

Sorry you didn't get any responses yesterday. If that happens again, just bump your post, it might have come at a quiet time and just fell to the bottom quickly.

I'm seeing a lot of bouncing, even from the lower 200s. It also looks like more insulin is needed to me, especially with a DKA history. Are you regularly testing for ketones? You test enough for TR, have you considered it? Or is dry food an issue? Have you considered lowering your SLGS reduction number to allow Sprocket to spend more time in blues and greens? The more time Sprocket spends in those numbers, hopefully some of this bouncing will lessen and even things out a bit.

24 hour food amount seems like an awful lot at 14 oz. when you say including 2 oz. of water, is that with each meal or total? Asia is about 10 pounds and eats 6-6.5 oz. a day of "zero" carb raw (food only, not including the extra water I add). How much does Sprocket weigh? You're feeding at +9 and I don't see numbers zooming up after that, so I don't think timing of food is much of an issue here.

If you have new syringes, did you start the process over? I.e. find a perfect syringe, measure 1 unit line and measure it to your calipers and do the math over? Are they a different brand? If they are quite different, you have to start over, you can't use those caliper measurements from the old syringes on the different ones and expect the same results.

That's my 2 cents, hopefully some others will chime in as this will bump your post. :cat:

Jill & Alex (GA) likes this.
  3. Tanya and Ducia

Tanya and Ducia Well-Known Member

Hello Darnell!

Certainly, I am no one from the level of expertise you require usually for your posts, but since no one replied yesterday…

Here is my $0.02:

I doubt that micro dose adjustments work well for Sprocket. (Sorry to say it. Some insulin toxicity might be suspect on the small doses such as his and long history of high numbers for an ycat).

Try increasing by a full quarter of a unit dose and, when needed/ earned - reduce it by “trimming” the dose– go to 1.25 Skinny from 1.25 full unit, or to Fat 0.25U from 0.5 Skinny. It might work – especially if you make your dose reduction point as being 3 times between 50 and 40, or below 40 only once – it might sound aggressive, but in reality it actually makes quit normal, common sense, check it out. You can always cancel the strategy once you don’t see it working.

If he “drops” – it’s ok because you are there to keep him safe. And you know what to do. Ducia had dropped a lot – taught me to handle her lows well – and I was never sorry about having to learn it.

Try letting him drop, to safety levels of course, and then steer the curve by feeding by teaspoons per hour v. oz at a time.

If he dropped 100 points in hour It doesn’t mean he’ ll drop another 100 in the next – you are there to test and to check it out and to steer if needed.

I am so absolutely confident that both of you will do just fine. You will always get help here, and think you already know this!

P.S. Re: food:

I’d choose and stick to one kind of carbs – like 5% or 6%, or maybe 8%, and try to feed it consistently – unless the numbers are in the low 50s or 40s time and again – then re-consider. Given the same food carb – wise consistently might open up a lot of info on cat’s carbs responses and help you to define his optimal food. I see that you spent a lot of time focusing on it. Hopefully this helps. Best of luck!

4. Darnell & Sprocket (GA)

Do you really think its bouncing? I dont see any big drops to bounce from.

I have considered TR but cant do. I do something in between. Any reduction hasnt worked so I tend to go down or up in smaller increments.

Ya 14oz is alot. He was eating 10-12oz but he seems to so hungry. He weighs @16lbs.

I didnt think of figuring the caliper again. It could be a little off. I will do that tomorrow. Yes I previously used Relion and now I got the surecomfort from adw diabetes.

Thanks

5. Darnell & Sprocket (GA)

Hi. Oh I didnt know that....are my posts that complex? Sorry I try to explain it the best I can.

I did go up a full 0.25u before to go to 2.70u and I was chasing him with alot of carbs at night to keep him in surf and still be able to sleep. So i reduced to 2.68u to just go down enough to not have to chase him with carbs and then I got the new syringes so not sure what happened but I will recalculate the caliper doses tomorrow as Stacey said above.

I havent dropped him in dose much at all because it doesnt seem to work.
    For food. I did try to stick to 4-7% but he got bored and wouldnt eat the foods. He refuses to eat @4-5 flavors of friskies now and will only eat a few flavors of fancy feast. I have had a huge issue with food with him. I have to use alot of fortiflora.
    I wish he would eat only a few flavors but he wont do that at all. He is a very difficult kitty.
    He doesnt follow any of the normal rules. I wish he did.

6. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

It looks like he shot up quick from that 202 on 3/25, bouncing with probably a little glucose toxicity mixed in perhaps?

You can personalize SLGS to suit him, you've been at this long enough I'm assuming you know him rather well. You could do the 3 under 50 (or 1 under 40) for reductions, there are a few other things you could try as well. I agree with @Tanya and Ducia these small increments aren't helping him. Try for the .25 increases/reductions or a fat or skinny if you're waffling heavily between a dose that works too well and one that's not quite good enough.

Is he underweight? Overweight? Why is he so hungry? Testing for ketones? He might be thinking he needs food because his numbers have been high and he can't use the food he's eating, seems like when he has more blue numbers, his intake is less.

The caliper measurements are absolutely contributing. Although the doses would still be consistent with each other because the measurements are the same, it won't be consistent with the doses he was getting with the other syringes, I.e. A 1 unit measurement on old syringe may be more like a .75 on the new ones. Redo your calibrating with the new syringes and see if that helps. They may look very similar, but something as small as the width of the plastic from the walls on one syringe to the other brand could be quite different.

Hope some of this helps and you see some better numbers soon. :bighug:

7. Darnell & Sprocket (GA)

For your comment on the use a fat or skinny dose...thats what I am doing with the 2.68u or 2.70u dosing. It is the fat or skinny of dose. 2.75u dose was too much so i went down a little.

I just measured the syringes and they are the same.

His weight. Vet said he could lose a little but needs to be slow. She gave me calories for maintenance and to lose weight and he was barely getting to the maintenance amount. Everyone says he will eat less when he gets more regulated but its getting harder to do that.
    He is off his amitriptyline as if today.

I have strips to test ketones but I barely see him pee anymore. He tends to do it when I am not around.

I got a ketone meter but not sure if I need to check it with a control solution as it was older. I still need to read instructions.

I tested tonight and he still didnt drop.
    I am giving nutro which is less then 1 carb and a 2 carb. See what he is at in morning.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.