Starting Insulin Tomorrow! HELP

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by stegerkr, Nov 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stegerkr

stegerkr New Member

Hi! I'm so glad I found this site! My baby girl, Pudge, is starting Insulin treatment tomorrow. My vet is going to be putting her on NPH. I am scared senseless. As many of you know our animals are our life and I'm so worried for her. I'm looking for some reassurance that this is going to work. My vet is a wonderful man and seems hopeful it's just that it's so nerve racking having your pets life in your hands. If anyone has any helpful thoughts I would appreciate it!

(911 icon removed by mod as this is not an urgent emergency situtation ) Hope you will come back and let us know how you are doing
    best- Kimmee Sweetgrass

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

This forum is not widely used, because no one is using Humulin N. You will get more answers over on the help forum. Copy your post and paste it as a new Topic on Health: viewforum.php?f=28

Having said that, I would urge you not to use Humulin. It is harsh insulin which is fast acting and does not last long in cats. The kitty will usually go down in the first 3 hours and then go up for the final 9 hours of the cycle. It is like a roller coaster for them. If you can, spend time tonight looking at the Insulin forums and check out the most popular insulins - Lantus, Levemir and PZI. They all are milder, last longer and don't cause the harsh ups and downs. viewforum.php?f=5

Do you know if your vet would be willing to prescribe another insulin? If I were you, I would print off the pages about the other insulins and take them with me.

When you post on Health, we can give you ideas about diet that will help your kitty.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.