? Starting Lantus - advice/tips?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Armish & Roo, Jun 18, 2019.

1. Armish & Roo

Armish & Roo Member

Hi guys!

After much back and forth and struggling with my vet, I am finally starting Lantus for my Roo! She recommended 0.5 units twice a day to start. I know its not much but at least its something, and I want to give his body at least some support while I travel and take him with me (6/19-6/23) since BG will be elevated due to stress.

I can pick up the prescription tonight, but my vet tech appointment to learn how to draw the dose and shoot isn't until tomorrow morning. I have read and watched a lot about shooting, so wondering if it would be a good idea or not to try to do a shot tonight instead of waiting for the vet?

Also, does anyone have tips for an insulin newbie? I don't really know what to expect and have been deathly afraid of getting shots or blood drawn my whole life so of course I end up with a diabetic cat, go figure!

Thanks, and I look forward to getting to know more people on here as I start life on Lantus!

:bighug:

2. AmandaE

AmandaE Well-Known Member

Hi Armish!

Welcome to the Lantus, Basaglar, and Levemir Group! Awesome job setting up your signature, spreadsheet, getting on top of BG testing, and Feeding wet food! you are well on your way to success already :)

When it comes to dosing with Lantus we follow two methods here: Start Low Go Slow, and Tight Regulation. Have a look at the description of these methods Here and decide which one is best for you. Once you decide, add it to your signature so that members here can provide feedback for dosing as you move ahead.

I believe 0.5u is a normal start dosage for a cat that is on a wet diet. I could be wrong and if so someone will be along to correct me :D

In both TR and SLGS. We only increase or decrease by 0.25u at a time. How long you hold a dose depends also on whether you follow TR or SLGS

RE: picking up your prescription - a lot of members here prefer to get the Lantus pens instead of the vial, they come in a set of 5 x 3ml pens. We like these because you only have to use one at a time, they aren't breakable, and you don't risk contamination / loss of efficacy in all of the pens at once when you use them. This means that you basically purchase a years worth of insulin in one go. We use the pens as if they were a vial, when you take the cap off of them you will see it has a similar top to a vial that you can draw insulin from using a u100 syringe. Some people here order there insulin from Marks Marine Pharmacy in Canada since it is more affordable than buying in the states.

RE: Syringes - we use u100 syringes with 0.5u markings and 8mm needle, you can get the relion brand at walmart. We use the smaller markings for help with fine dosing since we increase or decrease dosage by 0.25u at a time.

RE: Shooting before you talk to your vet - personally I wouldn’t you should learn how to do it properly first... but ultimately it’s up to you :)

RE: Shooting in general - it’s a learning curve and you’ll get there, this is another reason why you should get the tech to show you how to properly inject, you can do it without your cat even noticing!

When I give Mowgli his insulin I feed him first then give him his shot while he’s mowing down in the scruff of his neck or in his side. He doesn’t notice so don’t worry about hurting them.

If blood goes into the needle you’ve hit a vein - don’t inject!

If you missed and didn’t get the insulin in (known here as a fur shot) don’t give another dose... some insulin may have made it in and you could end up overdosing your cat

RE: General advice - definitely read all the stickies at the top of the forum here, especially around how to recognize and treat hypoglycemia and learn the information about how Lantus is a depot insulin and how it works

You will have to wait a few days for the Lantus to kick in since it is depot style and you will need to wait for the depot to build. Don’t be discouraged it takes a few days.

Post daily if you can, only one post a day since it’s a busy forum, make your title in the following general format:

Date, Cat’s Name, AMPS value, additional testing values during the day, PMPS value.

Additional testing values are good to add to the title if you have them because experienced members may be able to notice if Roo has entered a dangerous situation that needs action, or may be able to provide feedback on dosage amounts.

You can edit the title with updates on your latest tests as the day goes by or add a question to the title if you end up with a question by the end of the day. For example you could start with this:

06/18 Roo AMPS 212

And end up by the end of the day having a title like this:

? 06/18 Roo AMPS 212 Starting Lantus, Advice / Tips wanted

In your post link the previous days post at the beginning so that members can easily follow your progress backward and provide more valuable feedback.

This is a really supportive group, you’ll like it here I’m sure! Let us know tomorrow how everything goes :)

I’m sure someone else will be by to let you know what they find helpful to know! Or wished they would have known before they started

Good luck :)

carfurby (GA) likes this.
  3. Armish & Roo

Armish & Roo Member

Thank you for the info, it is soooooo helpful! After a long day of meetings and working late, just got home with a Lantus pen and ReliOn syringes with half unit markings! Gonna give myself a few minutes to breathe and then will test feed, and maybe shoot? Will update everyone if its successful!

AmandaE and Barbara & Uncle (GA) like this.
  4. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Congrats on shooting last night! Love the commentary on your SS and loving those yellows along with you! :D

Armish & Roo likes this.