? Steering numbers with Food and the leftover food

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Shoeskitty-GA, Mar 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shoeskitty-GA

Shoeskitty-GA Well-Known Member

Does steering the numbers upward with food give an accurate number of what that insulin does actually does for the cat? Was thinking about this as I have had to slow Shoes dives today on a new dose. Since I stopped or slowed the fall of the numbers, does this give me a false indication of where the dose would have taken him had I not intervened thereby missing a good dose?

2nd question - How long is it safe to store the opened cans (covered of course) of feed, especially the foods used to steer the numbers in the fridge before trashing? I hate to throw away an almost full container of food.

Chrys & Stomper likes this.
  2. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

Sometimes it is a fine balancing act to try to keep the numbers mainly in a good range and not have them drop too much. If a lower dose doesn't get good numbers then using a higher dose and steering the numbers to keep them from going too low, gives the kitty's body more time to adjust to these numbers as being normal.

If you have left over canned food you can freeze it into ice cube sections and reuse it later when you might need more.

jayla-n-Drevon and Shoeskitty-GA like this.
  3. Shoeskitty-GA

Have not tried that. No ice cube trays. I wonder if plastic bags will work as well? Thanks!

4. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

You can freeze the food in ice cube trays and once frozen remove the "cubes" and keep them in a plastic bag in the freezer. If you freeze it directly in a plastic bag the food will stick to the edges. I found this out personally by trying to freeze plain pumpkin puree in plastic bags...same consistency as canned food. It is a horror to try to get out once defrosted. Or if you have small plastic freezer containers ( 2 or 3 oz size) you could use those. That way you take out what you might need and it defrosts fairly quickly.

Shoeskitty-GA likes this.
  5. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA Well-Known Member

You can also just take pate food and cut it into wedges or disks, freeze them on a cookie tray and then bag up the wedges or disks once they are frozen.

6. Shoeskitty-GA

I suppose I will have to buy a few ice cube trays. Thanks for the tips!

7. Chrys & Stomper

Chrys & Stomper Well-Known Member

This is a great question and I have wondered myself too. Thanks for asking it Sandi and thanks for all the tips about freezing. I really do learn something new everyday here.

8. Shoeskitty-GA

Hope we get our answer!

9. Julia & Bandit (GA)

Julia & Bandit (GA) Well-Known Member

I use small plastic snack or freezer bags to freeze food for my cats and I've never had issues with it sticking to the bag--I do make sure when I'm putting the portions in the bag that the food is all grouped together at one end, and I stick the bags in the freezer sideways (so the food is laying at the bottom freezing in a chunk). I started out using the pint sized freezer bags, but I've also used the regular snack sized storage bags with no problem (the kind with the sealable top).

It's easier to bag up the portioned food when it's cold (because it sticks together more), so I'll often stick the leftovers in the fridge overnight, and the then bag it up the next day.

10. Julia & Bandit (GA)

Julia & Bandit (GA) Well-Known Member

As for how long it stays good in the fridge, it's good to store covered and feed for at least 3-4 days. That's the recommendation for humans for cooked meat, and cats' digestive systems have a higher tolerance for spoilage in meat so you should be more than fine if you follow the human recommendations. You may want to microwave it a little before feeding if your cats aren't as into the cold food as they are the fresh--when it's warm, it's smellier and more appetizing for them.

11. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Or try the little pots with integral lids designed for freezing small portions of food for babies.

Mogs

12. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

OK--do your cats really eat leftover food--are mine THAT spoiled???:banghead::banghead::banghead:
    My outside cats are even getting picky:confused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.