? still low BG

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by postalbunny, Apr 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. postalbunny

postalbunny Member

Jeter had 69 blood sugar last night but due to ignorance I dosed him anyway. he dropped to 26- we got it up to 114 he now tests at 89. It was recommended that I reduce his insulin this morning but with levels still low I think I should hold off...Thanks for all the help and info last night:)

2. Mum of two felines

Mum of two felines Member

Skip this morning. Remember we recommend no shooting under 200. I look forward to seeing what his numbers are this evening!

Squalliesmom likes this.
  3. postalbunny

postalbunny Member

ok :)

Sharon14 likes this.
  4. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Absolutely skip! And inform your vet about last night, as well as this AM's numbers.

Squalliesmom and postalbunny like this.
  5. postalbunny

postalbunny Member

Thanks-I'll do that

6. Mum of two felines

I am curious, did Jeter have an infection when he was diagnosed? And have you done a food change?

Squalliesmom likes this.
  7. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

The good thing about skipping this morning's dose is that you can have a less-stressful day at work today, which you probably could use after last night! We'll see where he is this evening...

It will get better. It does seem that something about this insulin and/or this dose isn't working for Jeter, but with the help of the folks here you'll get him on the right path.

And I am also wondering about Mum of two feline's questions...

8. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

I was wondering similarly. Jeter has put me in mind of Buzz ...

Mogs

9. Critter Mom

Hi Brigit,

You are doing a fantastic job with the home testing and it was right to withhold the dose after getting the low preshot again this morning. Also you've included some very important information in your signature. It is very concerning that Jeter has had several hypo episodes since starting insulin. MO2F's questions are good ones.

Please can you let us know the following:

1. Did Jeter have an infection or other health issue going on when he was diagnosed with diabetes?

2. Did your vet run a fructosamine test as part of the initial diagnostics?

3. Does Jeter have any history of testing positive for ketones?

4. Did you change Jeter from a high to a low carb diet since he was diagnosed? If yes, when did you do the food change?

Be sure to speak to your vet about Jeter's low numbers. Without data to confirm it is only possible to speculate but there is a possibility that he may have been going low repeatedly and then bouncing back into high numbers as a consequence. Even though you've not given insulin for this AM cycle it would be very helpful if you could get a BG test immediately you get home from work and then another one at the scheduled evening preshot test time. Post the test results here and ask for input on dosing/withholding this evening before the scheduled dose time.

Mogs

Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
  10. Mum of two felines

Yep! That's why I woke up at 5:08 to check on her.:)

11. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Brigitte. Great instinct on not giving his shot this morning. I would have thought he'd bounce and be high.

Look how much you accomplished already. Jeter is in good hands with you and we will back you up.

Can't wait to see what tonight brings.

12. Critter Mom

(((MO2F)))

:)

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  13. postalbunny

postalbunny Member

just got home early to take Jeter to the vet and his level is 71. Yes he did have some sort of infection when he was diagnosed. He was running a fever so was prescribed antibiotics but was also ravenous, losing weight, drinking and peeing a lot more than usual. I had been feeding him canned food- prescription for urinary crystals I think it was purina or science diet. Whichever it was he refused to eat it anymore (both kinds) so I was giving him blue buffalo canned pate. Then he quit eating that so he's been eating friskies pates.

14. postalbunny

postalbunny Member

We are vet bound.. I'll check in later. Thanks all!

Squalliesmom likes this.
  15. Critter Mom

After no insulin this morning! Thank goodness you started home testing. Look forward to getting an update after you've been to the see the vet. (Should be an interesting conversation ...)

Mogs

16. postalbunny

postalbunny Member

Jeter is running a fever and is getting a blood panel done. The vet started him on antibiotic, said to hold off on the insulin and said from the look of Jeter's thin blood he is probably anemic which could indicate his kidneys aren't functioning well. The blood panel will tell us more. Yes we did have an interesting conversation. I've known my vet for 20 years and he has always treated as best he could with a poor community who can't pay for tests. I respect him and he cares for his patients deeply. I think he just tried to give me practical advise because I was so overwhelmed at the time of diagnosis.

17. Nan & Amber (GA)

How is Jeter doing? Does he seem to be feeling any better on the antibiotics? Hoping for positive news from the blood panel-- you guys have been through a lot already...

I think it's pretty common for vets to do the "minimal best practices" for new diabetics, because it is pretty overwhelming at first.

18. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Brigit. How is Jeter today? Are the meds working?

19. Critter Mom

Sorry to hear about Jeter's fever. I hope he feels better soon. Glad to hear that you've got such a caring vet; it makes such a difference. :)

Mogs

postalbunny likes this.
  20. postalbunny

postalbunny Member

Jeter's blood panel came back. His BG levels have been consistently low with home testing and his panel shows he is going through kidney failure and has moderate anemia and high phosphorous levels. I can't remember all the vet told me because I was driving at the time. The vet is going to go over all this with us on Monday. Jeter finally ate some this morning and looks a little perkier. Wondering if the high blood sugar for his first diagnosis could have been a temporary thing? Thanks for the comments- you guys are so great to care!!

21. postalbunny

postalbunny Member

Doing a little better today:)

22. postalbunny

postalbunny Member

Thanks Nan, Jeter seems a little better this morning:)

23. Nan & Amber (GA)

I'm very glad to hear that!

24. Critter Mom

Glad to hear that Jeter is feeling a bit better in himself, Brigit. I hope that will make you feel some bit better in spite of the CKD Dx. :bighug:

Re the diagnosis of renal insufficiency there is a lot you can do to help with that. The go-to resource on the web for feline CKD is Tanya's Site: it has everything you never wanted to know about feline kidney disease. There's a support group associated with the site (see left-hand column on home page for link), and there's also a Yahoo group for feline CKD:

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Feline-CRF-Support/info

Mogs

postalbunny likes this.
  25. postalbunny

postalbunny Member

26. postalbunny

postalbunny Member

Thanks- I tried looking at Tanya's site before but couldn't get it to load. Appreciate the info.

27. Critter Mom

That can happen from time to time. Try again later. (Or try on a different broadband service: sometimes I can't access it on my landline broadband but it works OK when I connect to the internet using my 3G WIFI dongle.)

Mogs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.