Still no drop in BG after 3 days of low carb wet food

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Eva and Achilles, Aug 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eva and Achilles

Eva and Achilles Member

I've read that many here have seen their kitty's BG levels drop immediately after switching to low carb wet.

Unfortunately, I haven't seen a drop in Achilles' numbers. In fact, they seem to be going up. Could something else be going on?

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Eva,

Do I remember that you are going to the new vet tomorrow? Hope you can get a longer lasting insulin than Humulin and that he/she will start you on a low dose of 1 unit twice a day. Then you will really be able to see how he reacts to insulin.

As far as your spreadsheet, you are getting a good drop, and 6 hours after the shot - which is a pretty good nadir for Humulin. But I am wondering if that is his low point. If he is lower at +4 for example, it may be that he is rebounding back up to the 400s at shot time. You might try for a +3 or +4 today to see. Since you are likely to change insulins, all that will do is to satisfy your curiosity, but it might be interesting.

If I were you, I would figure you are in a holding pattern with the Humulin, and that your real sugar dance will start when you get a longer lasting insulin.

3. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

Sometimes the pancreas needs time to rest and heal -- so I would change to a longer-lasting insulin (so he is not getting up to 400s every day), and

4. Eva and Achilles

Eva and Achilles Member

Hi Sue,

Achilles is seeing Dr. Peterson tonight. I definitely will be asking for a change in insulin and a fructosamine test. His liver and pancreatic enzymes were also elevated so I'm concerned that there is either something else going on causing the diaebetes or that the diabetes has been around longer than we thought and it has started to damage his organs. Both scenarios are scary. :cry:

I do intend to start at a low dose. However, it is so upsetting to see his BG spiking every morning and evening pre-shot. I keep wondering about the damage that is being caused to his little organs because of the high BGs. :sad:

I also noticed that his front paws shiver/shake occasionally. I've read a bit about diabetic neuropathy but I see that it tends to occur in the hind legs. I haven't noticed a change in his gait or in his ability to jump up onto the furniture so I cant' tell if his hind legs have been affected. I will ask the vet about giving him methylcobalamin, which I understand is a vitamin used to treat diabetic neuropathy.

As for testing him at +3, +4, I intend to do that once I start the new insulin. The problem is that DH and I work all day so we will only be able to test him after his second insulin shot in the evening.

Wish us luck tonight!

5. Taline & Bibo

Taline & Bibo Member

Hi Eva,
    I didn't see the drop in numbers immediately on Bibo either. It took a while, 2 weeks perhaps. But the drop came after using a good long lasting insulin. Hope that will happen this evening when you go and see the new vet. Good luck with that, and best of health to Achilles.

6. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

It takes time to find the right insulin dose while on a low carb diet to lower bg levels. Just be patient :smile: Regulating your cat's diabetes is not a race.

7. pamela and tigger

pamela and tigger Well-Known Member

Really looking forward to hearing what Dr. Peterson has to say and which insulin he prefers plus what he has to say about the elevated enzymes.

I have no idea about the shaking in the front paws. He is only eleven so not that old. Maybe a reaction to the high bg levels? See what Dr. P says. Good luck!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.