Stinky pooh

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Carol & Yoshi, May 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carol & Yoshi

Carol & Yoshi Well-Known Member

Need help with IBD kitty with stinky pooh. He fluxuates between firm, covered, barely smelling poops and soft, smelly, uncovered poops. Unfortunately we have a small home with a laundry room right in the middle off the hallway between the kitchen and the bedrooms. There was a vent in the door which we removed for previous cats to be able to go in and out for the litterbox and food and which stop the dog from getting in. When he's firm, he covers it and I don't even know he's done a pooh. But when it's not, he goes, doesn't cover, and runs out of that room like his butt has caught fire. If I see him whizzing by, I know to jump up and clean out the box but then the smell lingers and drifts out that small opening into the hall. On a nice day temp wise, the doors and windows will be open in the whole house so it clears out. There is a door to the outside in that room and to open it I have to block the opening in the door and stand in that room swinging a towel around to move the air until it's acceptable for me to close the door and leave the room. It's such a pain on more than one level!

So with all that background knowledge, what in the world can I do to make stench recovery quicker and doable?

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

maybe put an air purifier in the room? I like the winix, and have two of them.

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  3. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

Or an automatic air freshener.

4. Maggies Mom Debby

Maggies Mom Debby Well-Known Member

Add an exhaust fan?

5. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Try and figure out if it's a particular flavor of food, causing the softer stinkier poo.

6. Carol & Yoshi

Is there an air freshner that's ok and safe for kitties? Does a purifier remove smells as well as absorb particles? I'd love an exhaust fan in there but the furnace and hot water heater are also in there.
    Thanks for the ideas.

7. Deborah & Muffy(GA) & Wendall

Deborah & Muffy(GA) & Wendall Member

One of my cats had the same problem and a probiotic really helped. I tried a few different kinds but Proviable worked the best. Started with a whole capsule sprinkled/ mixed in food until his stool was normal and now give him 1/2 capsule a day for maintenance.

https://www.chewy.com/nutramax-proviable-dc-capsules-dog/dp/101471

8. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

Not sure if that is the only cause. I have 5 cats and they all are fed the same flavor for each meal. When Cracker poops, it could clear the neighborhood because it smells so bad. None of the other cats smell that bad.

9. JanetNJ

Winix has a carbon filter to help with smells.

Eta and it detects oder and can go into turbo mode. Whenever it goes up we call it the fart detector. Ok so who farted? The detector is on red!

Last edited: May 27, 2020
  10. JanetNJ

Cc
    can clear a room too. We always know we are in trouble when we see her thinking face.

Last edited: May 27, 2020
  11. Carol & Yoshi

Ah. Janet do you also experience stinky dia and then for some reason things calm down and Cc does a more normal, not really much smell pooh? After a horrible one
    two days ago, he went today and it was not really smelly and well formed. Same food. I've discovered if he goes every two days or so it more normal and not stinky but
    they something changes and I don't know why really. I always think it's too much chicken. When we sit down to eat, he shows up and sits on chair next to me and gives
    me the sweetest look. If I ignore him, Niko puts his paw on the table along with his chin or he'll reach over and gently touch me to get my attention and then I cave and get
    him a few small bits of chicken breast I've cooked and frozen for him. He'd be there for every meal but I don't let him have chicken even if he comes and looks cute.

12. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

GUILTY...Zoe gets me every time with that paw touch!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.