Stomatitis STILL not going away

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Steph & Cuddles (GA), Apr 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steph & Cuddles (GA)

Steph & Cuddles (GA) Well-Known Member

Not sure if anyone here was keeping up with my Bandit. She had a full mouth extraction, and her stomatitis is STILL bothering her. Vet wanted her on pred first thing.. so she's still on that. Then prescribed zythromax to see if it was some sort of blood infection (can't remember the name). That didn't do anything (gave it a week), so she called in some doxy. Going to do that for a week.. which is almost up, and not making much of a difference either. :YMSIGH:

So next step, we may try Atopica I think it's called.. but she says it's expensive, and most cats puke it up. Will try a few more things on the Feline Outreach stomatitis page, but then if none of that works, it looks like we're looking at medrol pills. I'd rather give pills, than go with the shot. The medrol pills are what gave Cuddles her diabetes. :sad:

It's all about quality of life though right? Just dreading if we'll eventually be known as 'Steph & Bandit' over on diabetes health.

2. Jean and Charcoal

Jean and Charcoal Well-Known Member

Hi Steph,

Gee, you and Bandit have sure been through a lot. I did not know about her, but I sure hope that something helps her soon. Sad that the extraction of all her teeth did not help. Has she been checked for FIV?

But, you are right about the fact that we need to put 'quality of life' ahead of 'quantity of life'. We must put ourselves in the place of our cats when they are suffering from diseases that are so painful, and wonder if we would want to be kept alive no matter what? I know I would not want to keep myself or my cats going if they are living a lousy existence with no pain free days. Once eating becomes difficult, or impossible, and our cats are only suffering, it seems hardly worthwhile to keep them going.

If the medrol pills are the only recourse, than I would go for it. Whatever you can do, and you have done a lot already, it seems that may be the only answer at this point in time.

Sending hugs and prayers to you and your furbabies. Especially Bandit. I sure hope she will feel better soon.

Jean and Charcoal (GA)

3. Steph & Cuddles (GA)

Thanks Jean. I even asked them to test her for FIV again! Thinking the only time she was tested was as a kitten at the shelter (which we know can be false). She actually WAS tested again back in 06.. and was negative.

She seems to be eating fine.. especially on the pred.. but it can't feel good eating with a throat that red. :/

4. Cheryl and Winnie

Cheryl and Winnie Well-Known Member

cat and sweetmax had 2 cats w/ this and went to cornell.
    she hasn't been around much. I'll drop her a note and see if she will stop in.

hope bandit's mouth gets better.

5. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Poor Bandit...:( Sending prayers...

6. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

Steph were xrays done? Did they get all the routes out?

When Henry's teeth were removed he did great. It was expensive but I believe they did xrays before and after.

7. Steph & Cuddles (GA)

I'm not sure they do x-rays after dentals. I do believe they were all removed. She was out & the surgery lasted 5.5 hours. (Can't remember if she had 27 or 28 teeth removed. Her dental before that had 3 extractions I believe? Not sure how many teeth they have.) She had some pretty healthy teeth, and roots.. so Dr Peter had his job cut out with her! I totally trust him too. They've checked her mouth & said she healed great, stitches fell out, and everything seems fine... except the stomatitis of course. Dr Bennett is our regular vet that we see, and saw Bandit last time. She has another patient which reminds her of Bandit.. nothing else worked on her stomatitis, except the person opted for the depo shots. Cleared it right up too. She said depo has a great reputation of controlling the stomatitis. She said if I could do the pills, it would have a slight less side effect of diabetes, than the shot.. so I'd go that route. But Cuddles was on the medrol pills when my old vet put her on them for her allergies (instead of something like chlorpheniramine).. and that's what made her diabetic.

I'll contact Lynette to see where the cheapest place for Atopica is.. and see if Bandit can even tolerate it. My vet says most cats don't. (She called it the 'puke drug for cats.') So just going down the list of supplements to try, before going to the depo pills. :YMSIGH:

Oh, and MOST of the time a full mouth extraction helps, but not all the time. I think it has an 85% chance of 'curing' the stomatitis.. but of course Bandit can't be in THAT group! :roll:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.