Strange BG numbers today

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Kathy and Mr. B.E., Jun 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kathy and Mr. B.E.

Kathy and Mr. B.E. Member

This morning at AMPS I got BG 186, but I'd read recently if you got too much blood on the test strip, you could get an incorrect reading rather than an error. So I tried to test again, this time having trouble getting blood:arghh: so I was afraid the reading (210) might have been high from stress and maybe the first number was correct. So I gave no insulin.

It was slow at work and a little cooler, so I came home to garden and got home in time for the AMPS+7 which I figured would be getting pretty high, but it was 224 and at AMPS +10 I got 229.

I'd like to think this means his body is starting to work on its own. But he seemed less alert (not that he's ever very alert;)) and he wasn't as excited about food as usual, although he did eat with encouragement this morning and at AMPS+7.

Irregardless of the reading I get at PMPS (in about 1 1/2 hours,) I don't plan to give insulin and see what happens later tonight and in the morning. Does that sound reasonable? Any reason he'd have better BG today without insulin other than his pancreas kicking in some?

Thanks!

Kathy & Mr. Big Eyes

2. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

That's tricky. If you look at Sam's spreadsheet from 6/11 to 6/13, you can see that he went without insulin for a few days and did great, but he isn't actually ready to go off of the insulin yet. In the days since then, you can see his numbers are back to "normal" for him and he's needs the insulin support again. Sometimes a kitty will have a cycle, or even a few cycles that are strangely high or strangely low.

Looking at Mr. B.E's spreadsheet, it's great that he held his numbers down a bit today, but they are still too high to really be going without insulin. Normal ranges are 50-120, so while the 220's are better than you've seen, they still indicate that he needs some help. It's definitely up to you, and if you want to skip, or lower the dose and see what happens, you can. I would suggest trying to at least give him something though - I would rather go with the natural momentum and see if his numbers might be able to get to his first green, rather than skip and risk letting his numbers get higher again. You hold the syringe though, and we will support whatever decision you make.

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  3. Kathy and Mr. B.E.

Thanks! I may decide to give him a smaller dose if he's still lower 200's and see what that does for him.

The green actually makes me nervous since the only time I saw it, it was 60 and must have been some kind of fluke. When I'm usually gone from the house for over 9 hours during the day I don't want him to go to low, so I'm trying to be very careful. (Will definitely not go with the 2.5U the vet told me to stick with if I think that's too much!)

4. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

I agree, I think I would still want to give insulin. I would be afraid to lose the momentum you've got going with these lower numbers if you took him off it completely just yet. Hopefully, you'll get there in a bit of time!

5. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

I agree. A smaller dose would be the better option. Skipping might overwork his pancreas if it's helping and it might stop helping. Over 200 definitely calls for some insulin... I was terrified of greens... Now I'm hoping for them as often as possible!

6. Kathy and Mr. B.E.

Well, it had gone back up to 290 in those last 2 hours, so I went ahead with 2.5U--normal dose and more normal number. I'll check again before I go to bed and hopefully it's coming down, but not too much!

Rachel, Djamila and Yong & Maury GA like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.