? Stress induced elevated BG

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Fern and Justine, Nov 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fern and Justine

Fern and Justine New Member

I have a 1 1/2 yr old female rescue, named JoJo. I adopted her when she was 5 months old. I brought her in for a wellness checkup, and had them run bloodwork just to have an idea of what her normal numbers are. Her BG result was 255. Normal range is 72-175.

I was wondering if this is a normal elevation due to vet stress, or if such a young cat who NEVER ate dry food or any gravy canned foods and who weighs in at a healthy 9.9 lbs could be diabetic. She is fed Wellness grain free pate canned food only.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks... Fern

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

It's totally possible that was just from stress.

Did they do a fructosamine test? Did they test her urine for glucose?

You can always get a human glucose meter and test her at home to see what kind of numbers she gets when she's not stressed

3. Fern and Justine

Fern and Justine New Member

Thanks for your reply. I will call them tomorrow to add on a fructosamine test . GREAT IDEA!!! They did tell me to bring in a urine sample within the next 2 weeks. I've been stalking the litter box since I arrived home from work.

4. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

You can use aquarium gravel (well rinsed) as a replacement for litter.....it won't absorb the urine so you can get a sample.

You can also use dried beans.

Laura bb likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.