Struggling with ear pricks :-(

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Ali and Fatty, Jun 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ali and Fatty

Ali and Fatty New Member

I'm feeling a bit useless!
    At work I regularly take jugular blood samples and place iv's etc but trying to prick my own cat's ear at home is soooo hard!
    Do most of you use the lancing device or just the little lancet freehand?
    I've been trying to do it freehand but he suddenly moves and I've gone right through his ear at least 3 times now which is obviously painful :-(
    I'm going to stick to using the device from now on so that can't happen!
    He was laying out in the sun so I popped some anaesthetic cream on his ears beforehand and left it half an hour to work but he still moved.
    I will get the hang of it - I'm just feeling a bit defeated and I hate upsetting my boy.
    I've watched endless videos and the cats are so tolerant - poor Fatty is such a good boy but he knows what's coming now which makes it difficult.

Back to the youtube videos for me!

Alleysmom likes this.
  2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Good morning. Not every cat is going to be compliant like in the videos, we only wish. It takes two of us to test Idjit, he's a big boy, doesn't like being on a table or counter, so DH holds him while sitting on kitchen stool in well lit kitchen. It is true that it's hard to do at first, and if he's anything like Idjit he's really picking up on the vibes. We were so nervous and inept at first I compared us to Laurel and Hardy. We tried the device at first, but we couldn't set it right and we went to hand held lancet. I use a cotton ball in back of his ear, as I poke the front part, and yep, sometimes he moves. I have read that the actual piercing isn't painful, unless you hit the vein (which most of us have done). They mostly don't like having the ears messed with. Maybe take a few times and just fondle his ears and press a fingernail edge in the sweet spot, not enough to hurt, just pressure? Then rub the ear, pet and praise? I try real hard to use the lancet on a slant, he seems to not know I've done anything when I get it right.
    I know you will get the hang of it and his ears will "learn" to bleed easier too. How is Fatty doing with the injections? Does he mind those?

alexthecat and Ali and Fatty like this.
  3. SpotsMom

SpotsMom Member

I use the device without the top on it, so I have something to hold on to, but I can still see the area I'm trying to prick. And don't worry about poking straight through... it happens all the time! Try to prick as close to the edge of his ear as you can, and at a 45 degree angle. I also use a folded up paper towel underneath so I can firmly hold his ear in place. Every cat is different, but that method seems to work for Spot.
    Try having a specific place that is set aside just for testing, and make an effort to give him something he loves while you are sitting there - extra loves, scratches, treats. I like to have Spot sitting on my lap, so I can wrap one arm around him to keep him still-ish. He goes and sits in his testing chair any time he wants to eat now because he's started associating the two things haha. You'll get there! It really does get easier :bighug:

CB Terri and Ali and Fatty like this.
  4. Ali and Fatty

Ali and Fatty New Member

Thanks guys :)
    He is definitely picking up on the vibes - he's amazingly good for his injections - we were having to shut him in the kitchen initially so he couldn't run off but now we can do them wherever he is without too much stress - it's the picking up the skin he objects to a tiny bit but if I just put my hand on his shoulders he lies down and doesn't even notice the injection!
    He loves having ear rubs and being brushed so I'm making sure I still touch his ears without doing anything 'pokey' to him!
    As they say, practice makes perfect so I'll keep using the Emla cream while I'm practicing! :)

beggargirl likes this.
  5. Eclipcys

Eclipcys New Member

When I first started pricking Mugs he was a constant wiggle worm and I poked through quite a few times. I filled a sock with rice and microwaved it for 45 seconds to warm it and hold it against his ear to dilate the vein, Massaging the ear will also calmed him down and got him use to me touching his ears a certain way. I chose free hand and talk to him as I'm doing it. Like everyone has said practice makes perfect but it takes a bit to get there! Don't be discouraged, you're doing the best you can. :cat:

Alleysmom and Ali and Fatty like this.
  6. alexthecat

alexthecat Member

I don't use a lancet device. The first few times I tried to test her blood, I felt like such a failure. I just couldn't get a blood drop! The first time I got a nice drop, I was so excited. Then, after I tested it, I realised that I'd poked clean through her ear and into my thumb. I know it's easy for me to say that it gets easier, but it really does. I got better at it and she realised that she gets lots of treats when I test her BG.

Bumpsy & Shady and Ali and Fatty like this.
  7. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

I free hand with both Noah and his brother Nigel. Noah only has the one ear that's any use.
    These are the lancets I use. They're big, the same idea as the fat pens for people with hand injuries and I find they're easier to see what I'm doing.
    bd_lance01.jpg bd_lance02.JPG

Ashley68 and Ali and Fatty like this.
  8. LauraMcK

LauraMcK Member

Finn won't just sit nicely like the videos either. I have to pick him up and put him on my lap with his back against my chest (I live alone, no extra set of hands here). I hold his face/ear gently still with one hand and freehand the prick with the other. I pretty much set everything up before I go get him; have the strip ready but not pushed all the way in until I'm ready to prick and continue to hold him with my free hand until the meter registers the droplet (or he'll squirm away and I've gone and poked him for nothing). I turned off the beep on my meter because that was making him jump too. After the first few times I feel I'm getting better at it (I can at least move faster so its done and he's getting chin rubs and treats before he can complain too much). He loves the Dr. Elsey's dry food so I've started giving him a few kibbles for a treat after testing; hoping that he'll be more cooperative. It was definitely overwhelming at first

9. Anne Biddle

Anne Biddle Member

You will get there. Poor Truffles had to put up with multiple ear pricking to start off when I couldn’t seem to get any blood! He only has the one useful ear too. I do it on my own too and find it easiest to put him up on a counter top and hug him to me with him sitting up. It seems to work although he really is such an angel to deal with it may not work for a real wriggler.

Noah & me (GA) and Ali and Fatty like this.
  10. Ali and Fatty

Ali and Fatty New Member

Thank you everyone for the encouragement and tips! :) I braved up and had another go!
    I picked him up and took him into the kitchen and shut the door which immediately made him suspicious lol
    I sat on the floor with him between my legs as I would dealing with a patient at work on my own.
    I put a pad of cotton wool on tne underside of his ear and massaged it to start with - I don't have a microwave so need to come up with a warming device!
    I used the the lancing device and no blood came the first time but I set it again and got enough to test so there is a small victory! :)
    He did get upset and wiggle which makes me feel really guilty, I opened the door and he went straight upstairs and sat at top giving me a disgusted look but came round a bit when I took him some biscuits up (I bought him the Thrive Premium Plus 90% chicken and he loves it - we are working on the wet food and he's probably on 50/50 now)
    Now he's back in the garden chillin! :)

Attached Files:

11. Idjit's mom

You did it Ali! A total victory in my eyes. He will get used to the routine, it's hard to adjust to these changes in their lives. I get the stink eye every day when we clean Idjit's ears. And sometimes he has to wait a bit before he eats his treats, but he always gets back to them. And, as you keep testing, getting the blood drop gets so much easier. For a warmer, you could use a warm damp cloth maybe? Or some people use an old pill bottle with warm water in it.

Noah & me (GA) and Ali and Fatty like this.
  12. Ali and Fatty

Ali and Fatty New Member

I definitely felt safer using the device to stop me poking too far (nerves make me clumsy!) - I took off the turny thing with the depth numbers and swapped it for the clear top with the hole in it and tested on my own finger before going near him with it - I barely felt it but got blood so I knew it worked!
    I'll do another one before tonight's dose and will make a concerted effort with AMPS and PMPS - I haven't been doing them so far as I haven't felt confident enough and as my bosses pointed out last week, I'm probably raising his blood glucose by stressing him so won't be getting true readings.
    I need to get this nailed as I'm normally out at work for 12 hours a day so he has his insulin just before I leave and as soon as I get back so those two readings are going to count!

13. Phoebes (GA)

Phoebes (GA) Well-Known Member

Good job, you can fill an old pill bottle with warm water and hold that behind his ear while you poke. It works great. You'll get there :) he is adorable

14. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

It will be easiest to get a sample with a 26 or 28 gauge

15. Ali and Fatty

Ali and Fatty New Member

Yay ... I got some from the local chemist today - my starter ones were smaller, something like 33g :)

Attached Files:

Idjit's mom likes this.
  16. JanetNJ

this will make it MUCH easier.

Ali and Fatty likes this.
  17. Bumpsy & Shady

Bumpsy & Shady Member

I don't have a microwave either and finding something that worked well took a while for me. The plastic used for pill bottles is too hard and don't conduct the heat well (at least in my experience), and the shape isn't great either. So, I use the bottle that comes with the conditioner that comes with the hair color I use. The plastic is soft/pliable and the bottle is small and flat. It's almost like a mini hot water bottle.

I use Garnier Nutrisse hair coloring. If you don't color your hair, or use another product I could/would send you an empty bottle. Just throwing it out there. It's worked wonders for me!

Ali and Fatty and Noah & me (GA) like this.
  18. Idjit's mom

That's a good idea. The more pliable plastic would probably feel better on kitty's ear. And conduct the heat better also.

Noah & me (GA) likes this.
  19. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

20. Bumpsy & Shady

Bumpsy & Shady Member

Well, he still doesn't "like" it so much, but it's been super helpful/easier for me! If you want to PM me your info, I could probably send one out early next week. I've been (kinda) stockpiling them since I figured out they work so well for us. Going to bed now but will reply/respond tomorrow if interested.

21. Idjit's mom

Thank you, that's very kind. We don't have to test Idjit very often right now, and he really likes the microwaved rice sock. I would rather have you share with someone who really needs one. :):)

22. Catacular

Catacular Member

Newbie here... The first ear prick went so easily! Ugh, I knew it couldn't be that easy. Second and third tests resulted in too much blood & an annoyed cat. Anyone have any other YouTube video recommendations that show the ideal spot on the ear? Maybe I poked too low and not close enough to the edge? Yes, I'm looking at the drawing, but... apparently I'm spatially impaired.

I have the 28 Gauge FreeStyle lancets. I'm doing these free-hand as I think the click would result in even more upset kitty.

Tomorrow will be our first day of twice daily 1 unit administrations. The shot seemed easier than the ear prick! Kitty seems to be resting peacefully now (measured 388 on Relion Confirm last night, today's PMPS 361, +4 (after first ever shot of 1U Lantus) 234. Spreadsheet in the works... Hypo kit ready as needed.

23. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Here are several other video's...if you look on YouTube under "testing a cat's blood glucose" you'll find lots of them

It sounds like you might be accidentally hitting the vein....it can really gush, but it won't cause any permanent damage....it may hurt a little more too.

I poke on the "inside" of the ear instead of the outside....there's less fur so it's easier for me, but wherever you are successful is the best place!!

24. Catacular

Catacular Member

THANK YOU! I think the inside of the ear may be wise while I learn... And yes, I'm sure I poked the vein. I'll watch all these videos before AMPS tomorrow! I really appreciate your help. :)

25. JanetNJ

26. JanetNJ

Anywhere along the edge is fine

27. Idjit's mom

Totoro! I am a huge fan of the forest spirit. The testing gets easier, it really does. You probably hit the vein when you got too much blood, I think most of us have done that. I watched a bunch of You Tube videos, and it still took a good bit of time before I felt competent. Be kind to yourself, it will happen.

28. Ali and Fatty

Ali and Fatty New Member

Lots more fab tips, thank you everyone!
    Little mister put up a fight this morning - the first blood drawn was mine!!!

I've just found 3 conditioner bottles on the side of my bath - I never use them for a second time but don't like throwing things away!!!

Attached Files:

29. Keeper of the fur!

Keeper of the fur! Member

In a way... this is all comical isn't it! Under each of our (and our fur-babies) stresses of doing this, we just have to sit back and hug our cats and have a little giggle I suppose! I try to put on a cool calm face and relaxed body posture when I'm preparing the paraphernalia for PD's tests.. and I'm finding that I'm not so "wired" when I'm trying to get blood... it's afterwards that I'm wired! And amazingly PD finds it in his heart to seek me out on the couch and tell me its OK and lays on my lap.:bighug: So I guess I'm forgiven for my terrible learning curve!!

It's all about the fur hugs and kisses:kiss:! That's why we are all doing this!

30. David Lasker

David Lasker New Member

I am also brand new to home testing my cat Ali, and I don't feel at all comfortable doing it. I am limiting my testing to twice per day AMPS and PMPS. I haven't done a curve yet for fear of torturing Ali.

However, I have found a method that is working well, and I am increasing my confidence with each test.
    1. I use an empty small pill bottle filled with hot water. Ali loves the heat from it. As soon as I wrap her ear around the warm pill bottle, she calms down.
    2. I rub Ali's ear with vaseline before lancing. This makes a huge difference and helps the blood pool up. I couldn't get a meter reading without doing this.
    3. I don't use the lancing device that came with my AlphaTrak 2 meter. It is one of the new ones with a black cap, and I found it impossible to aim it properly. I am just using the 28 gauge lances that came with the kit freehand. I go for the "sweet spot" as close to the edge of the ear as possible. Depending on where I land, Ali feels nothing at all, or else will flinch just slightly. But she will remain stationary due to the warm pill bottle.
    4. I then "milk" the ear. This causes a small but well formed drop of blood that easily triggers the meter. Ali thinks she is getting an ear massage, and loves this part of the test.
    3 years ago, I totally freaked out when I had to start injecting Ali with SQ meds for her SCL. It got better with time. If I can do a BG test, anyone can.

Have patience, take some deep breaths, and you will get there!

Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
    Reason for edit: fix typo
  31. Sammie's Mom

Sammie's Mom New Member

Just want to drop in to say thank you for the tips here, I needed them. I feel like I am making her life terrible with the shot 2 a day and then poking her 3 more times for BG... Can I asked why that is call the sweet spot on the ear? Thanks again..

beggargirl likes this.
  32. JanetNJ

After a week or so that area will develop little capillaries which make getting a sample easier, and there are very few nerve endings along the edge so they hardly feel it there.

33. Sammie's Mom

Sammie's Mom New Member

OH Thank you Janet, I was just wondering..

34. allie.crain97

allie.crain97 New Member

I'm in the same boat as you! My vet showed me how to use my Alphatrak 2 and when i got home and tried it myself, i poked at my poor baby's ear for no reason and didn't even draw blood. The second time, I drew blood but he shook me off before I could do anything. The third time, i got blood, but apparently it wasn't enough for the test strips to register.
    I went to my vet tech and she told me to prick the inside of his ear rather than the outside as I had been told originally. I tried it at home and after only one failed poke, I was able to test his glucose. I had to sit on the floor and hold his torso with my legs and had my boyfriend hold his head still (although I think he would have been fine without this) but it worked in the end! I folded his ear inside out (just at the edge) which made it easier to squeeze a drop of blood out once I had made the initial hole.
    I test his glucose right before he gets food and insulin so I'm hoping he starts to associate the tests with food!
    I've also read that a small dab of vaseline or olive oil helps the blood pool better.

Good luck! My kitty sawyer was diagnosed on 6/21 and I've already noticed a significant change in his glucose levels :)

35. Catacular

Catacular Member

Thank you again for your advice. Day 3 of testing went well! (Don't get cocky, self!)

36. Rain7

Rain7 Member

I have been testing Jerry's insulin at home for over two months. Sometimes it is just one prick that is needed, and other times, I have to prick him (or try to) multiple times. I am using the lancet pen from the outrageously expensive Alpha Trak 2 meter (I am referring to the gold plated strips when I say expensive.) I put a flashlight up to the back of his ear, and noticed a pool of blood in one section in the middle (on the inside of his ear), and I burst into tears, thinking that I have hurt his ear, and that he is in pain. It is mostly in his left ear, which is the one I normally test, but it is also somewhat in his right ear. I just kept crying for a while, hating how I have to hurt my sweet baby boy just to try to make him better. It is so unfair to him!! Great, now I'm crying again. Can someone give me advice on this? I feel like such an ogre right now. I hate this blasted disease!!!!!!

37. alexthecat

alexthecat Member

Try not to be so hard on yourself. Cats can forgive a lot if you bribe them with high value snacks. If he were in pain, he'd let you know. I think he knows that you love him and you're doing your best.

Rain7 likes this.
  38. Rain7

Rain7 Member

Thank you, alexthecat. I truly do love him, and I truly am trying my best. It has only gotten a hair easier over these last two months. He has a new vet that he is going to on Friday, someone MUCH closer, and hopefully better than the last one. The financial strain, (as most of us here know), is unending.

39. alexthecat

alexthecat Member

Cleo only got her diagnosis in March. It's definitely been a big lifestyle change. We were lucky to get her regulated fairly quickly. The first few months were such a struggle though. Injections, blood tests, all of it... It's so stressful and I have another old cat with his own health challenges too.

I actually considered euthanasia because I felt like I was ruining Cleo's quality of life. I'm glad I didn't do that. She seems a lot happier now and I'd miss having her around.

Rain7 likes this.
  40. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

a lot of people thinking the clicking on a lancing device will scare their cat but I found it comforted mine.... she knew when it was coming and done....
    and treat was soon presented....

i had great success with the accuchek softclix... 28 gauge....

Rain7 likes this.
  41. Rain7

Rain7 Member

Yeah, I don't trust myself with using the lancet free-hand. I have my lancet pen set on "2", so it barely pricks his ear. I put a piece of toilet paper under the ear to hold it steady, and then hold the toilet paper folded over his ear to stop the bleeding.

42. Phoebes (GA)

Phoebes (GA) Well-Known Member

If you have a small old pill bottle you could fill with warm water and lay it against his ear to warm it up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.