Struggling with testing, new to this.I

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Simon10, Jun 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Simon10

Simon10 New Member

Simon was diagnosed with diabetes 10 days ago. I switched his food to canned wet, bought a Relion Confirm meter and with total confidence, set out to master this horrible thing. My vet had called in Novolin N so I definitely wanted to do testing before and after dosing him with insulin. So far, it has been a disaster- every day becomes more traumatic. His latest ear jerk caused me to lacerate his ear-blood everywhere-at least I didn't waste a strip! His poor ears look like a war zone. I've tried to follow everyone's advice, but so far... Anyway, the numbers I've managed to get are from 260-350. I haven't had the nerve to use insulin yet. I haven't attempted to stick him since yesterday's fiasco. Anyone with any ideas?

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Where are you location (general location)? Maybe someone nearby can help you.

3. Simon10

Simon10 New Member

We are in southern Indiana, about 30 miles north of Louisville, KY. I initially thought he would be a piece of cake, but he says,"NOPE!"

4. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Sorry you're having so much trouble. Glad you've switched his food and are willing to test. Not sure what you've tried so far, but what I recommend is to use a desensitizing method. Chose a spot that will be your testing spot. Take Simon there several times a day and pet him, rub his ears- anything he enjoys- then give him a treat and let him go. Do this until you both are relaxed, then add the poke. Remember to take a deep breath and relax, some find it helpful to sing, anything to stay relaxed. If your still having problems, post on the Health forum where you may get more suggestions.

5. Simon10

Simon10 New Member

Our testing spot is where I feed them. (I have 4.) seems like every time I get lined up for the stick and about to press the trigger, he moves. I tried it with just the lancet, but didn't get any blood. I'll start again tomorrow.

6. scoobydoox

scoobydoox Member

7. 52weeks

52weeks Member

I found that using a rice sock helps immensely to bring the blood to the surface and get an easier stick. Are you using a lancing device or just holding the lancet in your hand? IMO, the lancing device is easier, esp if you're squeamish about sticking. He can sense your nervousness so do some deep breathing before sticking.

To make a rice sock, put a little rice in a spare sock and tie it off. Heat it in the microwave for 30 sec to a minute. I massage Baby Cat's Ears with it, then lift if it's very hot, then massage again, for a count of about 30.

Keep treats special for him and make your sticking station somewhere else if you can. When you stick, give him a treat.

Did your vet send you home without any instruction? Can you take him to a different vet? If you can, I think you should.

8. DebG

DebG Well-Known Member

Can you gently straddle over him? When they cant see everything they do much better.

9. Simon10

Simon10 New Member

Thanks everyone! I re-watched the videos. I haven't tried the rice sock since his ears actually bleed if I can hit something besides air or me. One video confused me though--it was a person straddling her cat wrapped in a towel and the cat was angry, growling and biting. There was a warning that this was how NOT to do a stick, but I thought this might be the only method that would work for me. I will try to change the testing site since all the other cats are milling about while I'm trying to test. Also, do you think the click on the device might be triggering him to jerk his head at the critical time? I'll work on desensitizing him to that today. Must say, filled with dread...

10. 52weeks

52weeks Member

Another thing I've found that helps is putting something soft yet firm under the ear before sticking. I use a folded paper towel, plus it pads and protects my own fingers. Then I use it to wipe his ear afterwards.

11. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

You may very well have hit the nail on the head! Clicking the lancet near Simon's ear without any testing will get him used to the sound. You could also try using just the lancet and free handing the poking.

I personally set up dry runs when I started, to make sure I could efficiently and quickly get the testing done. You could use a piece of fruit or whatever as a substitute ear just to get yourself used to the process to the point where it becomes second nature. Then when testing the cat, you can keep your mind on dealing with any unexpected moves by Simon rather than worrying about fiddling with your equipment. Speed is your friend with an antsy cat!

Sharon14 likes this.
  12. MrWorfMen's Mom

Just had another thought. What size lancets are you using? The lancets that come with the meters are usually 30 or 31 gauge or smaller and they don't always work well for our kitties especially in those early days. If that is the case, you should get some 26-28 gauge lancets and see if that doesn't make getting blood easier.

Sharon14 likes this.
  13. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

If you are using the lancet device you may want to try using the lancet without it. I found that I have more control using it freehand and my cats did not get freaked out with strange noises by their heads

14. MrWorfMen's Mom

The other cats aren't just milling around...they are supervising! LOL! :woot: Seriously though, it would be a good idea to have a quiet spot away from the other 4 footers. If one of my other kitties comes nearby when I am testing, Menace sometimes decides she wants to track them with her eyes and that means a lot of head sway to deal with so it might help to keep them out of the mix especially in the early days.

One other thought......take the cap off the lancing device if you continue to use it, so you can see exactly where you are poking and get your fingers positioned better to keep a firm grip on the ear. With my device, I couldn't get a drop of blood with the cap on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.