Sub-Q fluids... how long are they good for once opened?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Dawn and Mateo Wiggles & Toby, Oct 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dawn and Mateo Wiggles & Toby

Dawn and Mateo Wiggles & Toby Member

My 15yo cat is at the beginning stages of renal insufficiency. I saw one of the vets at the office when they did the bloodwork to dx and she said it was slight at this point. He is drinking A LOT but she said it is working, he is able to get enough by doing it that way. She sent me with a bag of fluids to give him a little boost for a few days but said she wasn't real sure that he needed it. The next day, another vet at the office called with his T4 result( normal) and said he relaly does not need fluids yet.

So, I have this bag of fluid... it was prepped by a tech, so the bag has been pierced and she let it drip some to get all the air out. If I don't give him this bag, can I save it for a while? Or will it "go bad" now that it has been opened?

Thanks!

2. cjleo

cjleo Member

Dawn,

Long time no see! When I was using LR in foster, we would toss it after 30 days. However, It makes a great hotwater bottle.

How is Toby? The tech who rescued him, Stacy, is engaged to another tech - Peter. I met Peter last Saturday when I went in to pick up diabetic Max who just went to Nebraska. He said Stacy wanted both of us to know how greatful she is that we rescued Toby. I told him about the acromegaly. So sad, but how is he doing.

Take care

Claudia

3. OptOut

OptOut Well-Known Member

Hi Dawn,

I'm not sure how long they last opened, but when it is time to start buying them, you can get them really cheap if you order a case from Walmart (or drugstore).

4. Dawn and Mateo Wiggles & Toby

Dawn and Mateo Wiggles & Toby Member

Hi Claudia! I was afraid of that, but was hoping I could save it for later. oh well.

He is good! :) He looks fantastic and acts the same as ever!

There was a brief time this summer of a few days that his appetite was reduced (and for him, that is very noticeable! that cat never turns down food!) and the vet said it could be the acro progressing (organs enlarging) , but so far so good. It didn't last and he has been fine since then.

Thanks for the info, Heather! I'll have to keep that in mind. My vet is such a rip off. It cost me $550 (a.k.a- an arm and a leg) when I brought in Mateo for testing the other day!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.