Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barbara and kitty Sam

Barbara and kitty Sam New Member

Hi all. Just wanted to post a diet success story with my cat Sam. He was diagnosed pre-diabetic back in February....weight loss, drinking lots of water, high glucose level. (I posted back then asking for diet advice for pre-diabetic cats.) I immediately stopped feeding the mix of dry and canned food that he'd been eating and switched him to DM which the vet prescribed. He was tested again in 2 weeks, and the glucose level was acceptable. The vet suggested continuing to feed DM for another 2 weeks to stabilize him some more, and I did that. But I was anxious to switch him to a more palatable diet and began feeding Wellness Grain Free canned food (which he'd actually been eating before all this started). After reading the carb levels on Janet and Binky's chart, I settled into a routine of feeding him mostly meat varieties, along with a small can of a fish variety (Turkey and Salmon; Chicken and Herring) twice a week.

And guess what? It's worked! The vet tested him again a few days ago, with even better results than the first time. She said his glucose level is completely normal now. (Also, he's stopped drinking a lot of water and is putting on some weight again.) She said that we'd most likely caught it early enough. She also said it was the first time she'd seen a diet change used successfully to keep a cat off insulin.

I'm thrilled that things are going well at the moment. And a big thank you again to all who responded to my initial question. This is a terrific forum, and members are so supportive of one another. I've learned so much!

Barbara

2. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

wonderful news! continued success.

3. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

So nice to read a good post. Congratulations.

4. Jayne & Sweety

Jayne & Sweety Member

Whooohoooooo!
    Yay for you guys!

Just goes to show how the diet change alone CAN work!

5. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

What a wonderful post to read. Maybe it will be an eye opener for your vet? Regular vet I use for my civies has seen it for herself.....change to all canned, learn to hometest ASAP, use Lantus. Her last three went OTJ almost immediately. Vinny, kitty I am getting, was on Glip and canned. Guess the Glip helped a little because when Claudia got him she started him on Lantus on a Sat. and by that Wed. he was OTJ.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.