Suggestions for a good glucometer?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA), Feb 23, 2019.

1. Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA)

Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA) Well-Known Member

Jack was diagnosed 8 days ago, and I already had two glucometers. One is old (True Result) and one was given to me not that long ago (One Touch) because I’m prediabetic and working to bring down my own BG. I like One Touch for me, but don’t like it for Jack because the meter doesn’t detach from the case and it’s awkward to draw his blood. True Result is easier, but I’m running out of strips. While shopping for them, I learned that my old True Result meter was discontinued for inaccuracy. So, I’m going to get another glucometer for Jack. Can someone recommend one the only needs a little blood? (I’m having a very hard time getting enough to get a reading.) Also, cost is a factor (for the meter and the strips) because I’m broke. Thanks!

2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Carolyn, where are you located? The least expensive meter and strips that I've read about is the ReliOn Prime (not the Premier, as it seems to be less reliable and accurate) from Walmart. It does not need to be coded, and does take a larger blood sample than others, but if cost is a big factor, you might consider this one. The testing is going to get easier, it just takes a while for the ears to learn to bleed. I remember very well the struggles we had at first.
    I just looked at Walmart.com and the Prime meter is $16.98 and a box of 100 test strips are $18.98. You do not have to buy expensive lancets. I buy a cheap brand, box of 100 for about $3.00. These prices are usually the same at the store, so you do not have to order online and wait for delivery.
    There are other excellent brands and you may choose something else further down the line. Some only take a 0.3 microliter drop of blood while the Prime does require a 0.5 microliter drop. But you need to test to keep Jack safe and this may be the best option for right now.

3. Darwin H.

Darwin H. Member

Reli-on Prime... Very reliable and only 25 points off the Vet's outside compared digital
    lab. 100 strips at Walmart - $20.00. Thats what costs the most with going thru so many strips daily.

4. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

If you're in Canada the Aviva Accu-chek is free. Print the form from their site, tell a few tiny lies, no ID required. It's a human meter that only needs a tiny drop of blood. Meter has a great memory function, comes with a travel meter and a carry case. Very accurate at low numbers.

5. Kathy G

Kathy G Member

ReliOn Prime, meter is $18 and 50 test strips are $9. I'm currently using up the rest of my Alphatrak strips and then switching to this one. It does take a bigger sample (not a problem for me) but anything that takes a small sample was significantly more expensive for strips and I test a lot.

6. Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA)

Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA) Well-Known Member

I called Walmart, and they carry a ReliOn Prime meter for $9 and 50 strips for $9. I'm so happy to find strips at that price! Now Jack's ears just have to cooperate and bleed for me.