Suggestions for being late on evening shot when going out.

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Linda and Tasha, Feb 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Linda and Tasha

Linda and Tasha Member

A week from now, I will not be home for Tasha's evening shot on time. She gets her shots at 10 AM & 10 PM usually. I thought I could fudge and give her morning shot about a half hour or maybe even and hour later at 11. I still will probably not be back until midnight so the evening shot wont happen until then. I know with people on Lantus and hour or 2 is not a problem, but a cat's metabolism is much faster. Anyone with experience with this, I would appreciate your input. Also if the even shot comes at 12 midnight, is 11 AM in the morning the right way to return her to a more regular schedule then 10 PM the same day for her evening shot? Your thoughts please. And thanks in advance for your replies.

2. Pat and Skipper (GA)

Pat and Skipper (GA) Member

Lantus is a 12/12 insulin and shifting shot intervals by a whole hour is unwise. I usually make shifts in 15 min. increments and, if I know in advance that I am going to be late on a given day, I start shifting several days prior to that day.
    That said, since your SS indicates that you are shooting close to zero, I would skip the night shot an resume shooting at the normal time the next morning.

3. Carolyn and Spot

Carolyn and Spot Well-Known Member

Yep I agree with Pat. Your dose is so low, it'd be best to skip it and resume next morning. The numbers will come right back for ya :)

4. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I have four cats on Lantus and not infrequently give their shots at 4:30 AM and 8:30 PM. They are usually a little high at 8:30 PM though.

5. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

This has happened to me -- I was notified 2 days prior to a late meeting at work last week -- I did not have time to do the 15mins intervals (but it sounds like you do) anyway -- I moved shot time in 30min increments & one day it was 40, I noticed no adverse affects. ECID though. Just don't stress because in the big scheme of things - a shot time being off is not the worst thing ;-)

6. Linda and Tasha

Linda and Tasha Member

I vary as much as 15 mins. now with no adverse affect I think. I will try the half hour. It makes sense if an hour is ok for people and lantus lasts 24 hours in them, a 1/2 hour should be just right for cats.

Wait...are we talking 1/2 hour in the am and another 1/2 hour at night? or 1/2 hour in the daytime and the same time at night. Then move the timing 1/2 hour the following day?

7. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

Please don't take my advice - I am a newbie. But the way I did it (because I did not have time to do it in 15mins) I only had 2 days -- but it went nicely & I noticed no difference in Baby.

Shot time was at 4:00am Monday & I needed to move it to 530pm by Wednesday -- so I did this:

Monday 4:15pm
    Tuesday 4:30am/4:45pm
    Wednesady 5am/5:30pm

8. Linda and Tasha

Linda and Tasha Member

good idea! Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.