Suggestions needed for cat who leaks urine

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by JL and Chip, Mar 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JL and Chip

JL and Chip Well-Known Member

TomTom is a sweet, loving, stray who came into my life two summers ago. The vet guesses that he's around 5 years old.

Last July, he had a full urinary blockage (no crystals) and nearly died (see http://www.felinediabetes.com/phorum5/r ... ?8,1771515 ). He leaked a bit of urine during his recovery. The vet said it was likely a result of the severely distended bladder and catheterization, and after a few weeks it seemed to resolve.

He blocked a second time in December (see viewtopic.php?f=29&t=1862 and viewtopic.php?f=29&t=2331). He began leaking bloody urine and was on several courses of antibiotics before the second blockage. He was diagnosed (via ultrasound, urine C&S, xrays, etc.) with pyelonephritis and a multi-drug-resistant UTI and has been on medication since. The doctors felt that the leakage would stop as the infection resolved, but it has not.

We're nearing the end of the antibiotics and are scheduled for two more C&S's to ensure that the infection has resolved. However, it now appears that the urine leakage is permanent, and I need suggestions.

He uses the litterbox faithfully, but he leaves a puddle wherever he lays. And his leakage is a significant amount. Has anyone had this problem, and if so, how did you handle it? Are there surgeries that can be done? Medications? Does anyone have any ideas for managing the logistics of a leaking housecat?

TomTom is a young, healthy cat who is as strong as a horse and very opinionated. I have a dog who had leakage issues, but it's much easier with a dog -- she's housetrained, so I put a doggie "bloomer" lined with a Poise pad on her and she leaves it alone and "holds" her urine until it's time to go out. If Tom were a quiet, inactive, old cat, a bloomer might work on him too, although he'd probably still try to use the litterbox (I haven't mastered housetraining a cat yet). But given his age and personality, I'm quite certain that Tom would have the thing off in two minutes, fully shredded.

I considered turning him back into an outdoor cat, but I won't be able to control what he eats, nor monitor that he's urinating properly, and that's a problem. I have visions of him blocking and dying a slow, horrible, lonely death... so even if he was willing (and I'm not certain he is, given how people-centric he is), it's a risky proposition.

Caging him or cloistering him away in a special room where he can't "hurt" anything seems unfair to him, and not much of a life.

Euthanasia has been mentioned, but I can't in good conscience do that--he's too young, too full of life, too loveable . . . however this is not an easy situation, so I'd greatly appreciate any and all suggestions.

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

There is a medication call Proin that is used for dogs. I would talk to your vet about truing it on TomTom. Proin contains the active ingredient phenylpropanolamine, which works by tightening the bladder sphincter muscle to help control urine leakage.

3. JJ & Gwyn

JJ & Gwyn Member

Does he generally lie in the same places? When Gwyn had mobility problems, we got heavy-duty contractor garbage bags and duct-taped over her pads, then put towels on top. She'd lie on the towels and, when she urinated, the towel would get wet, but nothing else would be affected. We just changed the towels regularly.

If you want wash anything urine-soaked, just put it in the laundry with your regular detergent, and add a cup of white vinegar; that'll get rid of the smell. If it's something thick, like a pillow or comforter, you might add a couple cups.

You can also use white vinegar to clean any potentially lingering smell from hardwood, tile, linoleum, etc. And I use a 50-50 mix of vinegar and water on carpet.

You can find white vinegar in gallon jugs at some stores. In my area, it ranges from $1.79 to $3.29 per gallon jug, so it can pay to shop around.

Finally, it sounds like the urine is generally pretty easy to find. If you run into problems, you might consider getting a black light from your local hardware store (in the fluorescent lightbulb section) or a StinkFinder from your local pet store. Wait until night, turn off all the lights, and run the light a foot or two over any suspect surfaces; the urine (and some other stuff) will fluoresce, making it easy to find and clean.

Can't help regarding medicine, etc, sorry; that wasn't a potential solution to our problem.

4. Carol & Yoshi

Carol & Yoshi Well-Known Member

I'm wondering if Tinkle Tonic helpful for female dog spay incontinence might help. Steph (Steph & Cuddles) uses this and could tell you more. I first learned about this from a post by Jess of Jess & Earl. Oh, looks like it can be helpful for cats too http://shop.robbinspetcare.com/tinkle-tonic-1-oz.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.