Suggestions to help dander?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Helen & Snickers, Sep 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Helen & Snickers

Helen & Snickers Member

Snickers' dander has been getting worse the past few weeks. Her pre-shot values are usually below 300, so I don't think it's because her diabetes is uncontrolled (I hope not, anyway). Of course she get a canned food diet and she does drink water every day. I comb her with a Furminator, but that seems to bring even more dander to the surface.

Any suggestions? My parents used to put some oil on our dog's food when she had dander and that helped, but I'm not sure if that's the way to go with Snickers.

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

The omega fish oils are supposed to help. Do you have any BG number you can provide since cats with high BGs dent to have dander problems.

3. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

I squeeze the contents of a fish oil capsule onto Pauline's food once per day (mix in).

That has helped with her dry flaky skin.

I get a big bottle of fish oil capsules from Costco.

4. Helen & Snickers

Helen & Snickers Member

I'll give the fish oil capsules a try.

As I said, her pre-shot values are generally under 300... I think this morning she was 247, and last night was about 260. Even when she was OTJ she still had dander, it's just getting worse. She's 15 now and I know grooming can become an issue with older cats.

5. lks_oscar

lks_oscar New Member

My vet once gave me some sort of spray on essential oils stuff (sorry I can't be more specific). I would spray it on and then brush him so it got worked into his fur. It seemed to really help and make his fur nice and silky too.

6. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Do you have any between shot BGs? Maybe she is not dropping much.

7. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

Forgot to mention:

It takes 3-4 weeks of fish oil in food to see results.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.