SUPER frustrated!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi, Apr 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi Member

I got an ample amount of blood and this piece of JUNK Relion just sat here and did nothing. I went over everything beforehand and also started it all over twice before blood dried. I’m done and this piece of junk is going BACK to Walmart. I’m not jabbing my cat again.

2. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

And now...another fricking fur shot. I can’t do this. She’s had no insulin today just two misses. I’m so frustrated I’m in tears

3. Tilou

Tilou Member

I know how you're feeling. I've got so frustrated in the last two months over handling Bob's diabetes. I know it might sound flippant but just stick with it. It takes a while but you will get the hang of the blood tests. I have to use Bob's paw pads - can't touch his ears - and I often inject fur shots! As I was told at the beginning, it's a marathon not a sprint. There are some wonderful helpful people on this forum who I'm sure will pass on some hints, tips and support :bighug:

Tanya and Ducia likes this.
  4. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

Thanks. I’m sorry, I had a long night at the hospital with CT scanner mess ups and maybe wasn’t the time to try my first ever blood test. I did nail that vein on the first try. But I think her ears are going to be an impossibility too now that she’s on to me.
    Thank you again...tomorrow a new day

Tanya and Ducia and Tilou like this.
  5. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

What a beautiful black cat Tilou :cat:

Tilou likes this.
  6. Tilou

Tilou Member

Bob's a real charmer. He was almost totally feral when he arrived here 12 years ago. Now he's a big softy - but with a bite! He's currently at the vet hospital for 48 hours while they try to stabilise his BG levels. He's had a virus, been on antibiotics for two weeks and its sent his sugar levels rocketing! Going in to visit him later today. He should be home tomorrow. It's really strange as he's never been away from the house and us.

I see you've got three pretty kitties there. Bob only has one pal left now - 7 others have passed on and over the years I've had to deal with special food regimes for several of them, so I know how difficult feeding is. After Bob's diagnosis I just switched Joey onto the same no/low carb food regime - at 20 years old he's not bothered too much as he's spent most of his life stealing from Bob's bowl :joyful:

7. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Just checking... You are dipping the end of the strip into the drop so it can suck it up like a straw, and not scooping the drop ONTO the strip, right?

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
    Tilou likes this.
  8. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Tanya and Ducia and Tilou like this.
  9. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

Try and get her used to you handling her ears first, that is make all the routine as if you were going to poke and test rub and warm her ears, just don't poke, and give her some rewards after you've done (is very important so that she looks forward to this ) , do that a for a few times till she gets used to the handling and associates it with her rewards

10. Tanya and Ducia

Tanya and Ducia Well-Known Member

@agensb
    Hi there,
    they do not accept diabetes supplies back and should have warned you at the check out.
    I like my Relion Micro much better than Relion Prime I used to use earlier.
    My Prime would often shut off in a few seconds - faster than I could get a sample. But strips for Micro are twice the price of Prime...
    Try another model, perhaps? See which one is easier to operate.
    The testing strips for Micro and Relion Confirm are interchangeable but meters are different.

Tilou likes this.
  11. Tilou

Tilou Member

I bought the ridiculously expensive AlphaTrack pet meter and the strips for it, then discovered that I can buy cheaper Freestyle strips for it on Ebay. The Freestyle meter was on offer for free in the US for a while (I couldn't get it free here in France!) and it does the same job as the pricier AT pet one.

12. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

I’m so sorry about this post last night. I spent hours on a CT machine glitching out every time I touched it- I was not doing it correctly. At all.
    I am running about an hour late- I never sleep this late!!!! Heading to try again...

Tilou likes this.
  13. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

14. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

They actually have already written a return label for it- but BoogieMom suggested I keep it for a back up so I’m going to. I was doing it all wrong last night darn it. I have an Advocate PetTest ordered...I believe it’s the same one my vet uses.

15. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

Well- I entirely missed with the one pop lancet. I “borrowed” 3 of these from hospital, they’re the only kind we have. It was my last one. Gretchen is happy I missed. I’ll pick up some normal ones today.

16. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

Well crap. I can’t tell at all if insulin went in or if I just gave yet another fur shot. The needles on these syringes are like tiny hairs and I think I probably missed again. I liked the bigger needles on the wrong syringes I had but I can’t be buying separate needles along with everything else.
    I’m overwhelmed. I’m spent. Totally spent.

Tilou likes this.
  17. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

Just tested myself using one of the needles I can’t use on Gretchen and it works fine. Roll my eyes. It was exactly this.

18. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

This reminds me of that awful noise a car makes when you start it but it's already running.
    Humor will go a long way. Blood pressure okay? :rolleyes:

Tilou likes this.
  19. Tilou

Tilou Member

I've only tested a couple of times on Bob's ear and managed to hit the vein on both occasions - oops!

20. Tilou

Tilou Member

I did the same. Hubby is diabetic and I was so used to scooping that I kept forgetting and wasted several strips :banghead:

21. Tilou

Tilou Member

I have the same problem. I try to push the fur away from the skin I'm aiming for so I can see. Unfortunately Bob jumps before I've even got the needle near his skin as he can smell the Lantus and knows what's about to happen. Very annoying.

22. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

What’s worse is Gretchen holds still after an initial walk away lol! I’m missing on a still cat!
    I’m going by if I can smell it on my fingers after I rub where I shoot since I don’t have a monitor right now. Is that a way to tell?!?

23. Tilou

Tilou Member

I can tell I've missed if it's wet the fur. But on smaller units I can't always tell. The thing is don't reshoot as you don't want to give a double dose by accident.

24. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Try shooting while she's eating

Tilou likes this.
  25. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

I do :) it’s me not Gretchen. We leave for vet in about 30 minutes.

26. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Do NOT rub after shooting.....I know if you're used to working with humans, we rub, but with cats, just push the insulin in and leave it alone....You can gently feel if the fur is wet, but don't rub.

27. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

I won’t...but curious why?

28. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

Stars and fireworks !!!!!: 27927B58-84C5-4B1F-8BF6-DCB3DF0E9EBA.jpeg
    Still a little high but YAY!!! He wants to see her below 100.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  29. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

Ha ha I just noticed in pic I posted vet doesn’t have date and time set

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.