Support needed, please!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jennifer and Porky, Jul 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jennifer and Porky

Jennifer and Porky Member

Hi everyone -

I wasn't sure where to post this, so here goes...

This is about Peanut, my sister's diabetic cat. A little background info first....my sister has been estranged from the family for more than 8 years, and we were just notified that she passed away last week - suicide. So, not only is that difficult, but she left behind 14 cats to care for. She named an ex-boyfriend executor of her will, and she has financially arranged for their care, and the ex-BF has agreed to take care of them, whether it be finding good homes for them or adopting them all. I don't envy his task - but I am also not prepared to assist with this, for many, many reasons.

In her information on the cats, she mentioned that Peanut was diabetic, and on 2 units of Lantus BID. From what we can determine, he has been diabetic for at least two years, but I have no other information on his previous dosing, curves done at the vet, etc. - I don't even know what vet she used! I do know that she was not home testing - no evidence of that. She had someone feeding her cats for at least a few days, but I'm almost certain that Peanut got no insulin for around a week.

We were able to get into her apt. yesterday, and Peanut finally came out of hiding. I brought my kit with me and tested him - his BG was 409! I gave him two units of Lantus at around 7 pm. I instructed the ex-BF on shooting and testing - he was able to give the shot this morning, but was unsuccessful at testing. Sigh - at least it's a start!

He did report to me that Peanut perked up around 2 hours after his shot, and was back to his usual, grumpy self today. That's good news - he was very lethargic yesterday.

All of her 14 cats are eating Purina 1 dry food - I think at this point, it will be nearly impossible to get Peanut on a diabetic-friendly diet.

So... I guess i just wanted to vent on the situation, and maybe get some ideas on managing it better? I'm a little nervous about his 2 units BID, but apparently that's been his dose for a while, and since he's eating dry food, I'm not that nervous about it, I guess. I talked to the ex-BF about getting a curve at home, or at least some data - then we'll get a picture of where he's at.

2. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Oh my goodness! First condolences on the passing of your sister. How very sad. Poor lil Peanut. I really wouldnt know what to do and would have done the same as you posting for advice and support here. I CAN send prayers for this situation. Bless you for trying to help Peanut.
    Jeanne

Sorry for the lame response I would be just as perplexed.

3. JJ & Gwyn

JJ & Gwyn Member

I'm sorry for this situation all around -- it can't be easy for any of you.

Regarding the Lantus not working for very long, here's a sticky from the Lantus user's group explaining how Lantus works. You should probably see some lasting effect from the Lantus in about a week (please note: I am not a Lantus user, I just know what I've picked up from hanging around the boards here for a couple years; actual Lantus users may be able to give you some more specific information).

Your sister's boyfriend may also be interested in this sticky on ways to handle Lantus so it lasts longer and info on getting cartridges / pens instead of vials (cats get such a low dose, the vial can go bad before you're anywhere near done).

While we're at it, I may as well throw in Melissa and Popcorn's post on how to recognise and treat hypoglycemia in cats, Jojo and Bunny's post on stocking your cat's hypo toolkit, and the board post on useful tips and videos on how to do BG readings on the cat. There's also one here on getting a starter test kit if he needs it.

I hope this helps a little and again, I'm sorry for the situation --

Jean and her Gwyn

4. Kim 'n Shadow

Kim 'n Shadow Well-Known Member

Oh honey, I'm so sorry. I don't have any advice to give, just feel my arms around you long-distance. I'm so very sorry for your loss. What a tough situation for you!

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Jennifer bless you for taking the time to come here and 'vent' you did it for peanut.
    I wonder if the boyfreind who is caring for peanut might like to become a member of our family of sugar kitties and their care givers? He really has his hands full with the 14 cats.
    Someone who is caring for peanut should post on Lantus and become a part of that group as they are the experts at dosing and at this point that is what you are questioning.
    I am just at a loss for words for what your family is going thru...but as for the cats we can help with any help that is needed. I encourage you or the care giver to stay in touch with us and post on Lantus.
    Lori

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Jennifer what part of the country do you live in?

7. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Her avatar section says she's in Duarte, California, but the question is, where are the cats?

8. Jennifer and Porky

Jennifer and Porky Member

Hi everyone -

Thanks for the support and prayers so far - much appreciated.

To answer a few questions: The cats are located in Alhambra, CA - not far from me (Southern California, in the greater L.A. area). Since I am (was? Porky is OTJ - woohoo!) a Lantus user, I'm familiar with all the handling, usage, protocol, hypo info, etc. I'm trying to educate the ex-BF - he's a cat lover himself - and he knows how to give the insulin shot. I made sure I very carefully explained to him where the 2 units is on the syringe (which, BTW, I double-checked to make sure they were u100). We are also easing into testing - I stressed its importance, so we can tell how Peanut is doing and decide how to adjust his dose, if necessary.

The bottle of Lantus looks fairly fresh - not much is gone, no floaties, etc. I still have some pens which don't expire until 2011 or 2012, so I will be giving them to the ex-BF.

So....I don't think there's much else I can do right now. I'm trying to support the ex-BF as much as I can - I'm sure my sister would freak out if she knew this somehow, but I feel like I need to help, and it's the least I can do.

Right now, I'm not sure if the ex-BF has decided whether he's keeping all of the cats, or he's going to try and find them homes. I could suggest trying to find Peanut a home, so that someone could really manage his diabetes with proper food and dose management...

It's a difficult situation, to be sure. I think I just mostly wanted to vent some of my frustration - and I knew that people here would understand.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yes, of course, I understand your need to talk about it. Would peanut be devasted at the loss of his furry family? Sometimes there are peeps here able to take on a diabetic cat. But you don't know yet how much bf loves and wants to care for peanut.
    Keep us updated if you want. I know you already know all the ropes, but if it helps we are here too.
    Lori

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.