Switching from lantus to Humulin N

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Cat girl, Nov 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cat girl

Cat girl Member

Just bought a bottle of Novolin N at walmart and going to start miss kitty on it in a day or 2.i read it starts working in an hr to hr and a half and peaks anywhere from 4-12 hrs.but in most cats it don't last 12 hrs.i feed her an hr ahead of shot and keep check on her bg.what else should I know?am I missing any info here?i like to know as much as I can.i appreciate any help.thanks.:)

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Hi Beth, why are you switching from Lantus? It's one of the best insulins you can use.

3. Cat girl

Cat girl Member

Can't afford the lantus right now.:(

4. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

You may wind up needing to test and shoot every 6-8 hours in order to keep her regulated on NPH.

Maybe check out BCP PZI.

Sharon14 likes this.
  5. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Have you checked the Supply Closet? You should probably post your question in Health. This forum doesn't get much traffic.

Cat girl likes this.
  6. Cat girl

Cat girl Member

I can test and shoot every 6-8 hrs if she needs it with no problem.is that bcp pzi like vetsulin but different company that makes it?

7. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

No, its more like ProZinc, but a bit less expensive. It tends to last about 12 hours, unlike Vetsulin which may last less than 12 hours (around 10 hours for many cats). Your vet calls in the Rx to them, then you pay BCP directly.

8. J-Roc

J-Roc Member

My mother kept her cat alive on Humulin for 6 years, until he was 18. And he was almost dead when she started treating him. This was about 15 years ago when it was more common to use Humulin. It's not the best insulin for cats by far, but it can be done. She had more success treating her cat with humulin than I've had with Lantus/prozinc so far.

9. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

Beth, has someone pointed you to DCIN (Diabetic Cats In Need)? They may be able to help you continue him on Lantus thru their Compassionate Assistance program. Here's a link just in case:

http://fdmb-cin.blogspot.com/p/compassionate-assistance-program.html

If you don't qualify there, you can certainly use Humulin N. There's a big difference in the actions of the 2 insulins.

HUGS!

10. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Guidelines to help you use Humulin/Novolin NPH optimally.

11. Andy & Pimp

Andy & Pimp Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.