Switching from vetsulin to prozinc: Part 6

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Lisa and Smoky, Jan 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

He'll be well fueled overnight. :)

2. Kris & Teasel

I saw the 220 PS on yourSS. That's very good considering how little insulin he had yesterday. You now have data showing what happens when you dose normally 12 hours after a NS. Always learning here, aren't we?! :) The 1.6 u should be fine.

3. Zoey & Carol

Zoey & Carol Member

Just reading through and looked at Smoky's spreadsheet. I would kill for a sheet that looks like that! I'm sorry that Smoky has other health issues that must be affecting his diabetes. He is certainly a much more stable sugar kitty than Teasel or Zoey!

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  4. Kris & Teasel

Yes, Smoky is an exemplary student of the feline diabetes rule book! Teasel just says, "Book? What Book?" :confused:

Lisa and Smoky likes this.
  5. Zoey & Carol

Zoey & Carol Member

:cat: And Zoey can't read! Much as I try to teach her. (I'm a former teacher, also!)

Lisa and Smoky and Kris & Teasel like this.
  6. Lisa and Smoky

Lisa and Smoky Well-Known Member

OK Smoky had a similar BG between morning and evening. ( 220 and 214) I have given him the 1.6 unit dose for a few cycles now. He is getting his pm shoot soon so is it better to stick with the 1.6 or try 1.7 to 1.8 units?
    I eyeballed the dose and gave him a little less than 1.7 units as far as I cld tell.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
    Reason for edit: New info
  7. Kris & Teasel

Hi Lisa. I think your "skinny" 1.7 u is fine.

8. Lisa and Smoky

Smoky didn't feel well last night at all.
    He was nauseous and vomiting up some clear liquid and small pieces of food. We heard him after we went to bed last night.
    He is sleeping right now so I will give him some cerenia before bed tonight.
    I'm not sure if this is a flare up or not and if I shld give him bupe. He seems to be more nauseous than anything else.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
    Reason for edit: Add on to post
  9. Lisa and Smoky

Smoky was 144 for AMPS, have to give am shot in 30 minutes or could skip shot today. Any ideas for me? I'm not sure if I want to not give any insulin as it may set it back a little. Is it safe to give 1 unit for am?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
    Reason for edit: New info
  10. Kris & Teasel

Yes, I think you can give 1 u. You're home today to monitor, right?

11. Kris & Teasel

You can always steer with a bit of food if he starts going lower than you'd like by +2 or +3. That boy wants to get off the juice! Wouldn't that be great?! :D

12. Lisa and Smoky

Yes I can monitor today. I'm trying to get Smoky into some nice green numbers so didn't want to skip his shot entirely.

13. Lisa and Smoky

I think it's time to start part 7. My boy is still feeling a little under the weather. I'm giving him the cerenia again tonight. I decided to give the budesonide a chance so my vet is ordering it on Monday morning. She said I may have to increase his insulin a little as it may raise his BG.

I didn't like the side effects of the chlorambucil although my vet was miffed I didn't want to try that first. It can suppress his bone marrow which scares me a lot. I wld also have to have CBC done every month.

14. Lisa and Smoky

We wld both love that Kris.:smuggrin:

15. Kris & Teasel

I would be leery of using chlorambucil based on those side effects too. I saw that Larry (&Kitties) gave you advice which is good because he knows much more about the medical side of things, being a vet tech (I think). I've also seen many references on here to using budesonide, not chlorambucil.

16. Lisa and Smoky

I didn't get too much sleep last night as I was up with Smoky. I just picked up his breakfast so going to set an alarm for three hours from now to get a test in.
    First, going to start part 7.;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.