Switching to Lantus

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Booger's Mom, Aug 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Booger's Mom

Booger's Mom Member

Booger has been on Vetsulin since he was diagnosed in February. The vet wanted to put him on Lantus/Glargine from the beginning but I didn't have the funds to purchase it at the time. I had just spent well over $300 at the vet with him being diagnosed. His numbers are just not improving the way they should and it is time to make the switch. Does anyone have any recommendations on where to purchase Lantus cheaper? I tried to get a prescription for the Lantus pens from my vet but she told me it only had 3ml of insulin in each pen and the vial would last longer.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
  2. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Marks Marine in Canada is the place to get insulin.

Box of 5 pens (15 ml) more than a vial is under $200.00. The pens will actually stay more fresh since you use one at a time. If kept in fridge they will last at least a year depending on dose. The expiration is usually 2 yrs out. They will need script from vet. Great customer service.

3. Booger's Mom

Booger's Mom Member

Thanks for the input. Is it 15ml total? or each pen?

4. Booger's Mom

Booger's Mom Member

Also, has your insulin always arrived cold? I am concerned about this as they state on their website that "All items requiring refrigeration are shipped with a tracking number, inside thermal insulation using only express delivery. Refrigeration items may not arrive cold/ at room temperature."

5. Olive & Paula

It's 15 ml in total. They are 5 3ml pens. They ship according to temps in your area. I don't think they ship any on Fridays. They come with soft cold gel pack. For extra you can get extra food pack I believe. They arrive cool enough (not as cold as refridge) unless your in a high temp area. You have to remember lantus is designed for humans to carry on their person. Most people here order with no problems at least I've never heard of any. Olive was driven down from Canada to PA with her insulin. It was handed off from driver to drive r, I'm some jostling occured. Wrapped in newspaper in plastic bag with food pack. It was fine.

Best time to order is fall of early spring so you have enough to get through summer and winters and not worry about temps.

Call them and ask your questions, they are very helpful.

https://rxcanada4less.com/insulin.html

6. Beck and Philly

Beck and Philly Well-Known Member

I ordered one pen from Marks recently and paid $10 extra for the styrofoam box. They are great to work with.

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  7. Booger's Mom

Booger's Mom Member

What pen needles do you recommend using with the lantus pen? I am just concerned bc the last two times I asked the vet for a prescription for lantus pens, she kept telling me that it would be better to get the vial and would write me a script for the vial. Any advice on how to get them to give me a script for the lantus pens??

8. Beck and Philly

I think Mark's will let you choose either vial or pen with the prescription you have. The important part is that you have a Lantus script.

9. Olive & Paula

You don't need the pen needles. You pull the top off the pen and there is a stopper. You draw the insulin out with syringe just like you would with vial. EXCEPT do not inject air back into vial. You do not use the dial on the pen itself. It only gives while units. I had to show my vet how to do it.

You could let him it can be done and hundreds of people do it. If the vet will only script vial, that's ok. You call Marks Marine or when they call you for payment. Tell them you want the pens and they send them. Once you get the pens take one in and show him. Here is the info. Scroll down and you will see pics of how to do it.

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/syringe-insulin-info-handling-drawing-fine-doses.151/

10. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

You don't need the pen needles. You open up the pen to expose the rubber seal end of the cartridge inside and insert a U100 insulin syringe right into it to draw up a dose. No need to put air into the cartridge because there's a plunger mechanism inside that moves toward the seal end of it with every dose withdrawn. The pens really are the way to go to get more for your money and not waste any insulin because the vial expires before it's finished (usually up to 6 months or so).

In Canada I can buy the pen cartridges (OTC!) alone as a 5 pack. There's really no need to have the whole pen body if Marks will sell the cartridges only. Some people like the pen body as a protective casing though.

Arkali likes this.
  11. Olive & Paula

20180815_082537.jpg 20180815_082529.jpg You will need insulin syringes but you should have them already. Here is a pic of my pen (excuse the man in work clothes) Its not lantus, its lev but you do it the same. Pics didnt post in order.
    20180815_082454.jpg

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  12. Kris & Teasel

Were you using U40 syringes with your Vetsulin? You need U100 syringes for Lantus. Make sure you buy syringes with half unit marks on them for ease of dosing fractions.

13. Olive & Paula

Are the cartridges cheaper than whole pen?

14. Kris & Teasel

To be honest I've never asked, just bought the cartridges because I wanted less plastic to dispose of. I'm lucky that I can buy Lantus OTC and my 5 pack of cartridges cost me only $109 CAD. Lev is only a few dollars more.

15. Beck and Philly

Okay, I'm jealous now. That's a fantastic price!

16. Kris & Teasel

Yes, we're lucky here in Canada because insulin is OTC and not expensive (socialized medicine!). The test strips, though, are pricey. My Freestyle Lite strips are $90 for 100 but I'm able to get them at a 20% discount in a chain drugstore on "Seniors' Day". I also accumulate points in those stores and often have enough to get the strips almost free. ;)

17. Booger's Mom

Booger's Mom Member

Thank you all for your replies. Makes me feel much better. I didnt even think of just using syringes to draw the insulin. DUH! lol. So U-100 Syringes with Lantus. I JUST had to order some more U-40 syringes bc I only have 20 left and a new bottle of Vetsulin I just bought and started using 2 weeks ago. I think I will just use the Vetsulin until the 45-day mark so I do not waste the $50 I paid for it lol Then start using Lantus. Will the vet tell me how much Lantus to give him compared to what I am giving him now with Vetsulin? I am sure the dosing is different. He is currently getting 1.75 units of Vetsulin. So, if I am understanding correctly, as long as I have a script for Lantus, Marks Marine Pharmacy will give me the pens if I ask for them? I do not have to have a script for the pens? Am I understanding that correctly? @Olive & Paula

18. Booger's Mom

Booger's Mom Member

ALSO, does anyone have a recommendation on U-100 syringes?? I am currently using the Ulticare U-40 half unit 29g syringes from ADW Diabetes. Absolutely love them more than the ones I got from the vets office. very smooth and no bubbles... Would like something like that in U-100 and the only ones I am finding in U-100 are 31g.... That is smaller correct?

19. Olive & Paula

Marks will need the script from the vet or I believe you can email it to them. Call them they will walk you through it.

20. Olive & Paula

I

ADW has different ones. Different needle lengths, short needles. Right now the are out of the Monoject 30g. I use the 5/16" needles. You have to try different ones and see what you like.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.