Switching to lantus

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by PatJ, Dec 13, 2018.

1. PatJ

PatJ Member

My vet has decided that my cat might be better if he switches from prozinc to lantus but hasn't made the change yet because he doesn't know if .there needs to be a slow transition I wonder if anyone can tell me if I can use the same dose as the prozinc currently 2 1/2 units twice a day or if there needs to be an adjustment to start him off. Would be grateful for any advice. Thanks.

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Have you been tracking your kitty’s progress on Prozinc? Most of us here use a common spreadsheet to record the blood sugar values. We do take the dose of the existing insulin into consideration when switching to Lantus, but your test data would tell me if I need to modify that number a bit. How low has 2.5 units been taking your kitty? You don’t need a slow transition, you can shoot Prozinc one cycle, and Lantus the next.

3. PatJ

PatJ Member

Wish I had a spreadsheet to show you. I've been sitting at this computer for days trying to make one, but when I get to a certain bit, it won't go any further. I do his BG values about six times every day. Some days (although not many) they can be as low as 6.0mmol for a couple of hours and then go up again,for six hours the other day he was lower (for him) between 12mmol and 16mmol for six hours but they are not consistent numbers and he's been on prozinc now since the end of August with no real sign of improvement. He's still hungry and really skinny. He was never fat but he was well covered, now he is so thin and frail and sleeps most of the time. That's why I'm hoping a new insulin might be the answer. Fingers crossed. Many thanks for replying.

Paigeworthy likes this.
  4. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Wendy tagged me to see if I can help you with the spreadsheet. I’m going to send you a private message so check your inbox in the upper right corner of this page.

I’d be happy to do it for you...just takes a couple minutes.

5. PatJ

PatJ Member

@Marje and Gracie I would be beyond grateful if you did this spreadsheet for me. Thank you SO much. Info that you need:

Date of diagnosis 27th August 2018
    Date started testing It was the same week as I already had a meter
    Glucometer using Codefree Human
    Insulin Prozinc but will change v. soon to Lantus
    Location France
    Email address [Thank you for removing email addy]
    FDMB password [Password removed by moderator]

Chris&China has sent me a spreadsheet already but I have not been able to get it into my signature box because I know next to nothing about computers and apparently I have mucked it up trying to. I hope that doesn't mean I've mucked it up for a future spreadsheet! But anyway, you are so kind and I really appreciate you going to all this trouble. Thank you again.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2018
    Reason for edit: Have been told to get rid of email address because of spammers.
  6. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Pat -

Please remove your email address from the above post. Unfortunately, there are spammers who will troll the site and you really don't want your email addressed to be flooded with spam.

@Jill & Alex (GA) - I'm tagging one of the moderators in case you don't see my note.

7. PatJ

PatJ Member

That was really nice of you to ask Marge and Gracie if she would do me a spreadsheet and she WILL!!! You don't know how relieved I am. Thank you very much.

8. PatJ

PatJ Member

@Sienne and Gabby (GA) Thank you very much for the email warning. It's been deleted now.Thanks again.

9. PatJ

PatJ Member

10. Marje and Gracie

That’s the reason I sent you a private message instead of asking for the info on a condo......you must be very careful about personal info you put in a thread. :):) Unfortunately and sadly, there are hackers and scammers that troll these forums.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
  11. Marje and Gracie

Hi Pat

I see Chris got the SS up and in your signature block. Here (click on the blue “here”) are the instructions for how to use it.

A couple extra tips since you are using a World SS. The SS will automatically convert the numbers to what we use here in this forum. It’s important that you don’t delete anything from the US SS because if you do, it will delete all formatting. The best thing to do if you need to remove something from the US SS only is to use the back arrow at the top in the tool bar.

Please let me know if you have any questions or need help.

EDITED TO ADD: I edited the SS to show the units as we record them. So 2-1/4 units is 2.25, 2-1/2 units is 2.5, and 2-3/4 units is 2.75, etc.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
  12. PatJ

PatJ Member

@Marje and Gracie Thank you for editing the units on my spreadsheet. That's really nice of you, thank you. I hope this is my last question to you but I'm a bit unsure if you can access the spreadsheet from the signature or just click on where you have posted to someone? Also, is it very likely that I could delete all the formatting from the US SS. Can I do that by deleting the BG numbers while I'm filling in the spreadsheets? Thanks again for all your help. Thanks to you and Chris I've got a spreadsheet!!!

13. Marje and Gracie

First...great job on putting in the data you have!!!!

Please feel free to ask me any questions about the SS at any time. I’m not on the board much right now for dosing advice so if you need help with the SS, please send me a private message by clicking on “Marje and Gracie” to the left and the. “Start a conversation”. This will also send me an email notification so I can pop on and help you with any SS issues.

I can access William’s SS through the link in your signature block or through google drive since I have editing rights. Most of the thanks goes to Chris as she did the SS and linked it for you and I just did some edits to make it work a bit easier for you.

Yes....if you delete BGs from the US SS only, you will lose the formatting on that sheet. I can always fix that for you. You can delete BGs from the World sheet without losing formatting and whatever you delete from the World sheet will also automatically delete from the US SS without losing formatting on eitther sheet. Does that make sense?

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
  14. PatJ

PatJ Member

I hope I don't have to ask you very often about the SS but it's good to know I can. Thank you,and yes, it does make sense about deleting BG's from the World Sheet. Thank you. When I need dosing advice do I just post a new thread or do I ask Chris. I'm not sure what to do? Also, how much data do I need to put in the SS before anyone can help? Thanks for being so helpful.

15. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

We like to see at least the last 2 weeks

Most of us start a new post here in the Lantus forum every day with the subject including the Date/Cat's name, AMPS # to start with.....as the day goes on and we get other tests, we "edit" the subject line to keep the numbers up to date so that the people who are scanning the forum can easily see how each cat is doing just by reading the subject lines. If they see something that concerns them, they'll comment on those posts first.

Also, if you have a question that day, you can use the ? Prefix in your subject line. That alerts the people watching that your post includes a question. Once your question is answered, you can go back and "edit" your subject line again and remove the ? (by choosing "no prefix")

If you feel your post includes a medical emergency like a possibly hypo, you can use the 911 prefix..people will come running! Once the emergency is over, you go back and remove the 911 the same way you'd remove the ?

Keep asking questions.....and it's a good idea to spend a little time reading other people's posts too....not only will it help your understanding of what's going on, you might see someone ask a question you hadn't thought to ask yet!

16. PatJ

PatJ Member

Thanks for the good advice! So sorry to ask but I need your help again. I've been filling the data in the SS but I left it for a while and when I came back to it, I couldn't put any data into the cells, it's as though it's dead. Whatever I click on nothing happens. Wondered if you might know how to get it back?