Switching to Prozinc - Initial dose advice needed

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Jen and Alfie, Jun 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jen and Alfie

Jen and Alfie Member

Hi everyone

I'm hopping over here from the Caninsulin board as my vet has agreed to let Alfie start on Prozinc in the hope that it will last for longer for him. I'm planning to give him his usual Caninsulin dose this evening, then start on Prozinc with his morning shot tomorrow.

But, the vet has said I should start at 2 units (he's on 2.5 of Caninsulin at the minute). This seems a bit high as a starting dose. Is it better to start again with 1 unit and work up from there?

I'm torn between giving him too much too soon and wanting him to feel better as soon as possible! He's so miserable at the minute I don't want to make him worse by doing the wrong thing either way!

Thanks in advance :)

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Here's my two cents: he's been high even at 2.5 u of Caninsulin, with only two blues. I think you could safely start at 2 u BID of ProZinc but make sure it's on a day when you can monitor. It's a gentler insulin and slower in onset. That should help reduce the very high numbers.

3. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Welcome to my home turf, Jen!
    I'm going to add a penny to Kris's two cents ;). I also think 2.0U would be OK to start Alfie on Prozinc with but if you are going to have to start before that week off, you could start at like 1.5U instead for those first few days :) so you don't space out at work worrying about Alfie on new insulin.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  4. Jen and Alfie

Jen and Alfie Member

Thank you both! I'm home from tomorrow for the week so I'll start at 2.0U in the morning and keep a close eye on him.

Having been scared of proper syringes at the start of all this, only 3 weeks ago (it feels a lot longer!), I'm actually looking forward to having more control over his dose by not using a pen!

5. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Syringes are easy-peasy! So much more control. :)

6. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Oh one minor detail. If you can add a row on your Spreadsheet to separate Caninsulin and Prozinc. Looks at Teasel's SS how Kris noted switching to Lantus :)

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  7. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Welcome Jen and Alfie! Yong and Kris have got you all set up, so I just wanted to drop in and say hi and we're glad to have you here!

Jen and Alfie likes this.
  8. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Hi Jen and Alfie! Welcome!

Jen and Alfie likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.