Sya newly diagnosed last week

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by K. Sya and Sophie (GA), Mar 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. K.  Sya and Sophie (GA)

K. Sya and Sophie (GA) Member

Hi,
    Sya my 11 yr old Tonkinese was diagnosed last week. She and her sister get 3 oz of Wellness Grain free wet and 1/4 cup of Taste of the Wild dry a day. Working on bringing down the dry food, but taking it slow since she's getting used to the insulin. The vet really wanted her to be on DM, but I told him I didn't think what she was getting was a problem and he said OK. Was I wrong?
    Right now vet has her on 1 unit of Lantus every 12 hrs. She's tolerating the shots fine, but in the evenings seems very quiet after she gets them. She doesn't seem ill (no signs of hypo), just quieter. I don't know, if I'm being paranoid about problems or not. Anyway, vet said he really wants me to home test, but to wait unitl she's been on it for a few weeks, he does one glucose curve at the office , and we get used to our injection routine. Is the mellowing out normal for the cats when they first start getting insulin? I guess I"m assuming its just her little cells are finally getting some food so she doesn't feel starving all the time so she's more mellow.

2. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome. It has been so long since I've had a diabetic kitty I dont feel comfortable answering your question but I wanted to post and welcome you to the best site on the planet.

There is much to learn here but you can do it. I'm sure others will post to welcome you and answer all your questions. While you're waiting read through the FAQ's they are MOST helpful.

Jeanne

3. Marvie and Tugger

Marvie and Tugger Well-Known Member

I'll chime in on the food. I was feeding TotW kibble till just a few days ago. My vet also caved easily on that. I wish he hadn't now. I'll let others advise you as to how but ditch the dry. Seriously. I thought the grain free foo-foo food would be ok too. Take a peek at Tugger's spreadsheet in my signature line. I honestly think that if I had made the food change months ago, we wouldn't have had such high numbers for so long. I switched him to wet food only just three days ago. Day one we saw a drop, but there was a little bit of kibble left out that I just let them finish and never put more out. Day two? Numbers were loooooooooooow. Day three and we're looking at a dose decrease possibility. I have a long night ahead of me from the sounds of things. I do know you shouldn't ditch the dry till you are home testing. Tugger is proof of that. If I hadn't been watching his numbers so closely, no telling how low he could have gotten.

So pretty much, read everything here on this site that you can get your hands on. Print stuff out if you have a printer, saves you trying to remember stuff. You can highlight important stuff and make notes later. Follow the advice of the folks here, they will not lead you wrong. And don't forget to breathe =)

4. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

Hi :smile: I have never used Lantus so no help in that department but.......if we knew the future, we would all have learned to hometest before giving our first shot. I would go buy a meter tomorrow and learn ASAP. There is no need to wait....all you are doing is testing the blood glucose and it is probably the most important thing you can learn to do. I don't understand if your vet knows about hometesting why he would want you to wait...doesn't make any sense when it can end up maybe saving your Sya's life. Before removing dry I would definitely get a meter and go for it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.