Syringe Feeding - Low Numbers - Not Sure How Much Insulin to Give

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Casey Warner, Dec 10, 2018.

1. Casey Warner

Casey Warner Member

I don't know if anyone here can even help since I'm not able to post Brownie's current chart. I've been giving 1.50U of Lantus twice daily, but she always has high numbers (200-400). I need to get her tested for pancreatitis soon. Anyway, on 12/2 and 12/4, a family member allowed Brownie to eat an unknown amount of dry food while I was not home. By 12/5, her appetite was dwindling. As of 12/6, she stopped eating on her own and I am now syringe feeding her. However, because she clearly has an upset stomach and vomited once within an hour of feeding, I'm not giving as much canned food as she normally eats. I've only been able to get in one can of Friskies a day. Because of this, her numbers are much lower than usual. Normally they're 200-400 and now I'm seeing 100-280. So now I don't know how much insulin to give her. I'm worried about her numbers overnight while I'm asleep. One day I skipped a shot when she was at 100 (might've done that twice), but 12/9 I gave 0.75U figuring that a half dose was better than nothing but safer than a full dose. I question whether I can get into the vet's this week. Even if I could, there's the issue of them not understanding insulin dosing in cats. You all here understand it better than the veterinarians do and I prefer to put my trust in you (I take full responsibility).

Any suggestions on the dosing?

If it matters, she is anemic and I strongly suspect she has pancreatitis or something very close to that. She's also had a sniffly type thing recently. Her siblings were chronically infected with feline herpesvirus so perhaps she's having issues with that, but I don't think that's the main problem. She's not dehydrated, but I do have an unopened bag of LRS. I'm also going to start giving her Cerenia (4 mg). The instructions are taped to the box, I don't remember what they are right now.

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Is there a reason you don't have a spreadsheet? You are right however, without the data, we aren't able to help on dosing. Since you have been reducing the dose, try to get some ketones tests in. Lack of calories, infection or inflammation and not enough insulin is a bad combination.

When Neko wasn't eating much, at night I would give her a little higher carb food, around 8-9% carbs, to help keep her safe.

I think it would still be worthwhile getting Brownie into the vet, to address whatever is causing her inappetance. Also, if the Cerenia doesn't help, and she is nauseous, ondansetron may help. Don't worry about asking the vet about insulin help, we can help you there if you get a spreadsheet up and running.

If she's sniffly, maybe she can't smell her food which would cause her to have less of an appetite. Can you put her in a steamy room for a while to help drain her?