? syringe question

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Judy and Freckles, Nov 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Judy and Freckles

Judy and Freckles Well-Known Member

The syringes that I'm using already are already drawn back to the 2u mark right out of the package. I'm not sure why this is. I've been pushing the plunger down to zero, inserting the needle into the insulin and then drawing the insulin into the syringe. Am I doing this right? I read that the syringe has a coating on the inside of it and didn't want to insert that into the insulin.

2. Kate & Toby

Kate & Toby Member

Yep, you're all good, that's what I do. You're right, they do have some lubricant but you are doing it right.

3. Chloe007

Chloe007 Member

Huh, I thought you were supposed to insert the needle into the insulin and then push the plunger and then pull back down. I was told that it ensures you're not getting any air in the syringe. Am I doing it wrong?

4. Kate & Toby

Kate & Toby Member

It depends on your insulin, but you shouldn't be putting air into the vial.

5. Chloe007

Chloe007 Member

I'm new to this all, that's just what my vet told me to do. Upon seeing your reply though I gave it try since it was shot time anyways. When I pushed the air out first, then put the syringe in, when I pulled down, I got a little bit, then an empty space and I had to pull the plunger down an extra unit in order to get the right amount. I ended up emptying the syringe because it was a suspect dose. Does that make sense? Normally when I push the air in first before I pull down, I get no spaces and can pull it exactly down to the unit line I need cleanly (1.5u). I feel like if I had done it the way you are all suggesting, I would have had a less exact dose and would have been injecting air into my cat because of the big space it created.

Edit: This is how I was taught to do prepare it:

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
    Reason for edit: Added text
  6. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

The video is fine providing you are not using an insulin pen (vs a vial). You still use a syringe with a pen but you do not inject air into a pen.

7. Chloe007

Chloe007 Member

Okay, I see. Yeah I'm using a vial, exactly like in the video. The drawing of the insulin just seemed very inconsistent when I tried to do it without injecting air into the vial first, so I wasn't sure if I'd been doing something wrong or ruining the insulin etc. I didn't realize they were talking about the pens, my bad! Glad to know I wasn't messing up this whole time though, I got worried for a moment! Thank you for clarifying

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.