Syringe question

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Theresa&Bashful, Jan 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Theresa&Bashful

Theresa&Bashful Member

The vet gave me a box of u-100 syringes, but they don't show the .5 markers between the 1 and 2 - are there different kinds of u-100 syringes? (I'm sorry, I'm at work and I can't give you the exact details of what it says on the box).

Theresa & Bashful

2. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

Yes...

U-100 syringes for use with U-100 insulin
    Can also be used with U-40 insulin WITH THE CONVERSION CHART.

U-100 syringes come in different liquid capacities: 3/10cc, 1/2cc, 1cc.

3/10 cc capacity are marked every 1 unit, but are also available marked every 1/2 unit.

1/2cc capacity are ONLY marked every 1 unit.

1cc capacity are usually marked every 2 units, and NOT RECOMMENDED for cat use...unless a high-dose
    kitty. Please note each little mark is 2 UNITS !!!

The other variables are:
    Needle gauge: 28 gauge is the largest (harpoon size), and 31 gauge is the thinnest.
    Needle length: 1/2-inch or 5/16-inch 'shorts'.

Many pharmacies do not stock (and will insist that no such thing exists) syringes with 1/2-unit marks.

They will try to sell you 1/2cc capacity syringes instead. If looking for syringes at a pharmacy, INSIST
    on inspecting the syringes and box they came in for the words "with half-unit markings", or similar
    wording.

3. Theresa&Bashful

Theresa&Bashful Member

Awesome, thanks. I'll look into getting them tonight.

4. Beth and Simon (GA)

Beth and Simon (GA) Member

Theresa! Hello again :razz: Sorry you needed to come back, but good to see you.

Walgreens just recently started selling U100's with 1/2 unit markings. I get:

Super Thin II Syringes
    Comfort Assured
    0.3ml / 31 gauge / 5/16" (8mm) length

Simon was on Lantus, then switched to Levemir, but just started back on Lantus today because I was able to get free Lantus with a coupon last December. He does better on Lev, but with finances they way they are, needed to make the change for now.

Give Bashful a squishy hug for me!

5. Theresa&Bashful

Theresa&Bashful Member

Hi Beth! I remember you also! Nice to see a lot of family "faces" on here when I came back. I hope it'll all even out soon...I'm still in the freaked out "oh crap I'm gonna screw up and kill my cat" mode. LOL

I'm going to Walmart tonight for BG and Ketone strips, so that works perfect. I knew there was a smaller dose syringe out there; might make it easier for me to be accurate, especially if I have to up the dose soon.

By the way, my vet charged me $160 for the lantus..is that the going rate? Or can I find it somewhere else cheaper?

Hugs,
    T

6. Beth and Simon (GA)

I get mine at Walgreen's, not Walmart! I've never looked at Walmart, there are none near me.

I found Costco (in this neck of the woods) to be the least expensive for Lantus. You don't need to be a member to use their pharmacy. Just tell the 'greeters' you're going to the pharmacy - don't need a card. Are you using a vial, or the cartridges?

7. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

In what form was the lantus?

If it's a vial (bottle) - that's a lot of money and a lot of lantus. I bought a vial at costco for $89

If she sold you 5 pens, cartridges or solostar pens - that's not a bad price. I got the free solostar pens (but the price was $210 from a local pharmacy).

Hope that helps, if you aren't sure what you have - check out the link on Lantus group, it shows the pics of all the container options for lantus.

8. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

That's a pretty typical price for the Lantus cartridges and pens. If that's the price for a 10 ml bottle, then your vet is make a huge profit off you :shock: You don't have to buy Lantus from the vet. Your vet can write you a prescription and you can fill it at any Human pharmacy where the price may be less. Same with U100 insulin syringes - can buy at any Human pharmacy but a prescription may be required. Hocks.com and online pharmacies don't require a prescription for insulin syringes.

Shop around to see what local pharmacies sells Lantus for the lowest price. You can also use a free prescription drug card (US only) to shave a couple dollars or so off the price. Here's a list: http://www.felinediabetes.com/phorum5/r ... 84,1946184

Suggested brands of half unit marked insulin syringes to use: http://www.felinediabetes.com/phorum5/r ... 22,1959486

9. Beth and Simon (GA)

10. Theresa&Bashful

Theresa&Bashful Member

I think it's the bottle (and the included the syringes, but of course, not ones with the .5 markings). I'll double check when I get home. It seemed kinda steep. I'll check around and see if I can just get the script and get from somewhere else.

11. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

$160 for a 10 ml bottle and insulin syringes is still a big rip off :-Q A bottle of Lantus is about $100 (price does vary at different pharmacies and where you live) and a box of 100 insulin syringes cost anywhere from about $13 to $30

Picture of a 10 ml Lantus bottle:
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.