syringe to inject bvits into line -- reuse or new ?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Cheryl and Winnie, May 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cheryl and Winnie

Cheryl and Winnie Well-Known Member

started civie wolfie on bvits daily injected into port ( subQs)
    have injected vits into line before, but not this frequently. previously always used new syringe.

have heard others use same syringe -- goes from bottle to line and cap back on. ( alcohol wipes used on vial and ports of course) .

would appreciate thoughts on reusing syringe vs a new one every time for vits into line .

thanks !

2. Mary & Stormy Blue

Mary & Stormy Blue Member

Personally, I would use a new syringe each and every time. You don't want to take the chance to introduce bacteria into your vitamin bottle for sure! Stormy Blue gets daily vit B in his fluids as well - I just use insulin syringes because they are not that expensive.

~M

3. Cheryl and Winnie

mary -

I have always used a new one for the reasons you mentioned. but I know others have said not to worry.

- thanks for the insulin syringe tip.
    I have 3/10s here and they aren't big enough ( dosing .4cc)
    are you using 1/2s ?

have to get a script ..... nys such a pain.

4. Mary & Stormy Blue

Mary & Stormy Blue Member

The syringes that I use now for the vit-B are .5cc, 1/2" needle, 100u capacity. Total draw injected into port is 40 units. They work great for the vitB and it helps that my Mom gave me several boxes of them!

~M

5. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Cheryl,

I have a bunch of U40 insulin syringes here, donated to Diabetic Cats in Need. No one is snapping them up. They are 1/2cc. If you would like some, please PM me your mailing address.

Venita

6. WCF and Meowzi

WCF and Meowzi Well-Known Member

new :mrgreen:

we use 1 ml syringes from hocks. no rx needed. if you're injecting only into the line port, there are cheaper prices if you shop around. i chose to stick with BD b/c she also gets a weekly adequan injection IM - want to make it as comfortable as we can for her.

7. Cheryl and Winnie

V-- sent PM thanks !

WCF -- NYS requires script so can't order online w/o it being some huge big pain. :(

the tech at my vets actually wanted me to reuse. she even gave me one large non sterile syringe-- it may of come from a sterile tray of many at the office but it was not individually wrapped and she just played around with it handling it before she gave it to me to try. :shock: no thank you.
    and I know some on here have. just didn't feel right.
    I don't think my vet would agree w/ that either. she's pretty picky and has been mad in the past when techs told me to reuse lines and didn't even want my 2 cats sharing a bag.

8. Jess & Earl

Jess & Earl Member

Hi Cheryl

Mary's right, there's a chance that you'll put some bacteria in your bottle of BVites and then you'll have a little breeding ground there.

Also, I have ordered syringes from Hocks w/o them asking for an rx, why not give it a try?

9. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

No script required to order from Hocks. They are in Ohio, which doesn't require a script, and their sales are governed by Ohio law.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.