Taco 10/16,AMPS 225,+2 217,+4 178,+6 166,+9 120,+11 120,PMPS 173,+3 172,+5 144,+8 131,+11( 66,55,50)

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Cindy&Taco, Oct 17, 2018.

1. Cindy&Taco

Cindy&Taco Member

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
    Cynthia & Merlin (GA) likes this.
  2. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Looking good in blue! Now to get a little dark green (no shark hunting!) in the mix........Go Taco!:)

3. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

Looks like Taco is getting back to business after his skipped shot.
    :cool:

4. Rosie & Bailey

Rosie & Bailey Well-Known Member

Nice job Taco! :cool:

5. JoyBee&Ravan

JoyBee&Ravan Well-Known Member

You've been here longer than I have,I'm still asking lots of questions. I'm confused why you skipped his shot? I thought with Levemir we're supposed to "shoot low to stay low" ?
    Ravan had a 54 amps a while back & I did reduce the dose but still gave him insulin.
    Are you following TR or SLG?
    Just when I think I understand the correct thing to do , I see someone else with more experience do it differently. o_O

6. Cindy&Taco

Cindy&Taco Member

Believe me I don'r have any more experience than you do ;) I was on TR when that occured, and was given the options , mainly to take a break, I knew what I would get from not shooting. There was no way he could be poked over and over again all night, and my and my daughters sanity had completely diminished I dont like the TR protocol, I'm too scared with it, I had the same happen all day today, which I havent put up yet, as we've been VERY busy with Taco AGAIN :( I want to find another solution to this madness, sometimes you just have to make a call, if you look at his SS, you'll see that he recovered pretty quickly from NO SHOT, but then decided to drop at a number that I am not comfortable with, only being how quick he drops, and again if we didnt test so much I dont think he would have came back up on his own this AM. So at this point I really don't know what to do. :(

7. Cindy&Taco

Cindy&Taco Member

Also Taco decides to throw me these lows right before shot time , I only have so much time to do what I think is right, I want to keep him on schedule , but these late lows are confusing me, plus he's on a much higher dose than your kitty, it gets scary.

8. MrWorfMen's Mom

Wow Taco is NOT fooling around. I'm beginning to think you have a kitty on a mission....a good mission. I see you gave a reduced dose this AM which was a good call and that you have been testing with both a human and pet meter today. Is your pet meter an AT2? Are you using it with AT2 strips or some alternative strips?

Cindy&Taco likes this.
  9. Cindy&Taco

Cindy&Taco Member

He's on a mission alright :banghead: He's been steered some of the day, not as much as 2 days ago, I have a brand new PET ADVOCATE meter, and just wanted to do a little comparison, I only have 3 strips left :( I used the advocate for almost 1 year, I just order a new one when I run out of strips, not much difference $. I havent used it in some time, but, you know the way I test I run out of strips quickly. That was the one thing I didnt fall for at the vets ;), I told them I wanted to shop around. I always brought it in and it was just about right on with the AT2 they used. My vet is totally against what I do, so, I;m more or less on my own. He did give me the rx for LEV but tols me , good luck:rolleyes: Making sure no mix up, the PET ADVOCATE READINGS WERE SIMILAR TO VETS AT2.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
  10. MrWorfMen's Mom

All right. So given the difference between your Prime and Advocate meter readings I think you can give yourself, your daughter and Taco a little break even if he is running in the 60's on the Prime. Check an hour later rather than every 30 minutes. I started off with an AT meter and comparison tested it with a human meter for over 1000 readings. All meters have their own idiosyncracies but it looks like your Prime may be reading a bit low at lower BG levels. That doesn't mean you can be complacent but it suggests that you don't need to panic when Taco gets to the 60's on the Prime. Certainly you need to watch him but perhaps some LC provided he will eat rather than MC would do. I like the fact that his BG came back down today after the Sheba LC....suggests his pancreas may be clicking into gear again.

That said, if he is on a mission, it's going to be a bit of a guessing game as to what dose to give as his need for insulin decreases. Just went through this with my girl over the summer. It was like someone flipped a switch and we just kept decreasing until we finally got to the finish line. I am keeping my fingers crossed that Taco's pancreas is starting to work again and he'll keep needing reduced doses. Short term "pain in the neck" for you for longer term gain if that's what he's up to.

I don't think there are a lot of vets out there who even know about Levemir yet much less how to use it. If you look at my girl's spreadsheet from July to Sept. you'll see I was able to shoot small doses at pre-shot of 50 and still get a nice green surf all day long. It's the transition period as the dose is dropping that keeps you on your toes. I double checked some of my pre-shot readings against my AT meter (CDN readings in comments section - multiply by 18 for US readings) and knew my US human meter was reading low at low safe BG levels.

11. Cindy&Taco

Cindy&Taco Member

I think todays problem 10/17 was that I was afraid to feed him more than he usually gets. What do you think about what I wrote in todays condo, about feeding him a couple teaspoons of 13 carb at his + 8 in the AM? If you would can you answer that on my new condo, 10/17. He pulls this stuff right before shot time and I HATE shooting low , because he seems to keep dropping once he starts :(