Taz's First Curve Test

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Ashlee Jennings, Aug 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ashlee Jennings

Ashlee Jennings New Member

I did Taz's first curve test today. I made a graph on the second worksheet called Curve. Does anyone mind taking a look and telling me what they think? I missed a reading at +8 but you can see the gist. Her nadir was 202. I am thinking I might want to increase her does by .5 unit because her nadir is over 200. She is on 1 unit of Vetsulin twice a day.

Thanks!
    Ash

2. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Hi Ash, well done for doing that curve! :bighug:

Can I ask, are you still transitioning Taz to low carb wet food? How is that going?
    (The food transition itself may reduce her numbers further...)

In principle it does look like she could take a small dose increase. But, if you're still transitioning to low carb it might be worth getting a few spot check tests over a few days, maybe 3 - 4 hours after a shot, to check that her numbers aren't already coming down further just as a result of the diet change alone..?

Eliz

3. Ashlee Jennings

We are still in the transition phase. I am feeding her a mix of low carb (2%) wet food, and a high protein, grain-free kibble. From other people I have heard it is close to 20% carbs which I know is supposed to be too high, but my justification has been that she is eating half as much dry food as she was before. She was just diagnosed 13 days ago and I just started mixing her dry food with wet food 1 week ago. She used to refuse wet food but since I have been mixing it this last week she is adjusting well. Dare I say... I think she is beginning to like it. I get her the Ultimate Protein Chicken from Nature's Variety. I would like to take her off the dry food in another week or so and see how she responds to just wet food.

4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I'd probably continue on the current dose until you are done transitioning off of the dry food. once off of that you'll get a better idea of her numbers.

Elizabeth and Bertie likes this.
  5. JanetNJ

Low 200's is higher than ideal but isn't bad! he may have to go up a smidge, but if you raise now and then get off the dry you may have to go back down. Since you don't test a lot throughout the day I would probably keep it the same until off the high carb dry.

Ashlee Jennings likes this.
  6. Ashlee Jennings

I work full time swing so it's hard to get those extra tests in throughout the day. I usually feed her at 9:45am and then 9:45pm because I work 1pm - 9:30pm and then usually am in bed around midnight so I can get a +2 reading but that's as good as I can do. When school starts for me again in the fall it's going to get tricky because I take 3 classes and work full time as well. I just moved a bit closer to campus though so maybe between classes I can figure something out...

7. JanetNJ

I hear ya. When school starts I won't be able to get any day readings except on weekends.

Ashlee Jennings likes this.
  8. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Ashlee, is it likely/possible that Taz will be transitioned to wet food by the time school starts?
    (That would be one less 'variable' for you to have to think about...)

Eliz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.