Ted (Diagnosed today)

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Abigail Mutschler, May 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Abigail Mutschler

Abigail Mutschler New Member

Hi all my name is Abby. My little guy, Ted was diagnosed today. Feeling pretty overwhelmed. I feel like it's so much information at once that I'm not really able to process what the vet is saying. I am putting him on insulin since he's only 7 years old I couldn't bare to put such a young cat down. Any and all advice is welcome!

Attached Files:

• ted.jpg
      ted.jpg
      File size:
      38.5 KB
      Views:
  2. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Welcome Abby and Ted to FDMB. So sorry you had to find us but so very glad you did. We've all been where you are right now......sad and overwhelmed. The good news is that very soon, you and Ted will get into a routine and you'll wonder why you were so worried. We're here to offer you whatever assistance you need whether it is about Ted's diabetes or just some moral support.

I think all of us walk out of the vet's office feeling like our heads are spinning. Take this one step at a time and use the knowledge and support here by asking any and all questions that come to mind over on the Health Forum HERE and we'll do our best to help you in any way we can!:)

AliceMeowliss (GA) likes this.
  3. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Welcome! There would be no reason to put the little guy down, even if he was much older. It is overwhelming when you first get the diagnosis, but diabetes is very manageable. You will get a lot of advice and support here.

It would be helpful if you could add a signature that provides basic info like your cat's name, date of diagnosis, type of insulin being given, etc. That way, when you post here, we won't have to ask you to give us that info over and over. :) Here's info on setting it up: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/editing-your-signature-profile-and-preferences.130340/

4. LindsayF

LindsayF Member

Welcome! Please know it’s very normal to feel that way! I am 2 weeks into my girls diagnosis and I felt the same way!!! I felt like they said here’s the insulin now figure it out! This group has helped me tremendously!!!!! Good luck and we are cheering you and Ted on!

5. Abigail Mutschler

Just got back from the vet from doing our first shot. She also told me I had to put him on a diabetic diet but so many people I see on here are doing Fancy Feast Classics. It was $50 for 24 cans! I absolutely cannot afford that long term. Any advice?

6. MrWorfMen's Mom

There is absolutely nothing "diabetic" about the food the vet just tried to sell you and in many cases the ingredients are not as good as Fancy Feast/Friskies or any other LC wet food. If the vet had you buy some, just remove one can from the case and return it to the vet because they have a money back guarantee from the manufacturer and tell the vet Ted won't eat it.

Fancy Feast Classic (Pates) or Friskies pates are perfectly good, actually better and inexpensive alternatives.

One word of caution......if Ted has been on a high carb diet you will have to be careful putting him on a LC diet with insulin in the picture. Did the vet discuss home testing with you? If not, please head over to the Health Forum and post there for some diet and testing information. We can explain more there and get you on the right path to keep Ted happy, healthy and safe. :)

7. Abigail Mutschler

They didn't. They only said to stop feeding him the c/d food he was on and switch him to the DM and bring him in after a week and see where his levels are and then discuss if I want to do in home testing. To be completely honest reading those forums literally look like a foreign language. My head is spinning. I want to get him on a good diet but have no idea how it would even be possible to reduce the insulin if he is already on only 1 unit 2x a day... a unit is so small is it even possible to do a half a unit. As you can see I feel very overwhelmed and very confused.

8. MrWorfMen's Mom

Deep breathes Abby. You are amongst friends who truly understand what you are going through. I'm delighted to hear your vet offered to discuss home testing. I've responded over on your other thread and we can continue there.

Don't let the boards overwhelm you. You'll get used to it in a few short visits. Just watch in the upper corner of your screen for a little red tag with a number over the word "ALERTS". That tells you when someone has responded to a thread you have started or participated on. You can click the message their and you'll go directly to the latest posting.

And yes it's possible to give even a drop of insulin (we have all sorts of information on small doses here) so don't worry. We'll help you sort that out when the time comes.

9. AliceMeowliss (GA)

AliceMeowliss (GA) Well-Known Member

Ted is so beautiful.

You've got this. It's a steep learning curve at first, and it's hard to believe it hearing it at first, but much will become routine and simple with practice.

You are Ted's hope right now, and your love for him will get you both through. Many, many, many diabetic cats do well and live for years later. There is never any guarantee on life, but I promise you can do what he needs for his diabetes. So far you found us and you're doing great! :)

Did you get a link to Dr. Lisa's food list? I tried my girl (per vet advice) on the purina DM and she hated it. Friskies and Fancy Feast are where it's at. :)

10. Abigail Mutschler

When your cats started going on insulin/diet change was there a pretty immediate response? He seems a lot better. Gained back some weight, peeing less, eating well. In only 2 days. The only thing I noticed is instead of being lethargic all the time he has bursts of energy and then the next minute he's conked out. His energy seems to come in waves and then go pretty quickly after. Is that pretty normal when starting insulin?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.