Teddy and Jessie, difficult start

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Teddy and caretaker Jessie, Jun 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Teddy and caretaker Jessie

Teddy and caretaker Jessie New Member

Hello everyone! I am taking care of Teddy for Rilla while she is gone. =) This is crossposted with the community area, so I apologize if I'm in the wrong area! I wasn't sure which one, and I'd like some help right away.

I was hoping to post here and say that everything is going great and Teddy is his usual hungry self, but the night has not been so easy...

Last night around 840 PM, Teddy had a unusually low glucose level of 153. Rilla told me to shoot above 140, especially because Teddy will almost always eat anything. I gave him his 2 units of insulin, and he decided not to eat... I gave him a small handful of kibble, under Rillas advisement that if he doesn't eat his "special" wet food in a couple hours...
    He didn't even eat the kibble! Poor Teddy, I know he is very stressed out.

I tested him a couple hours later and his levels were at 155. I think he ate a couple kibbles.

I tested him again this morning, seeing that he didn't touch his food, and his levels were at 200 at 615AM.

My question is, do I shoot him? I don't know if he will eat, I know a hypo is more dangerous, and I have to be at work at 745, so I won't be around to test him frequently if I shoot him and he does not eat.

2. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

I cannot recall what kind of insulin he's on, do you know which one?

How long will you be at work for? More than just a few hours?

Hypo is a worry and he's stressed, sounds like he's staying at your place and not at home.

3. Susie and Moochie

Susie and Moochie Member

I can't recall either which insulin Teddy is on. I would wait for others to weigh in as well but I would suggest shooting a reduced dose - one unit instead of two. I probably wouldn't skip it altogether. It's a toss up - you certainly don't want him to hypo but he does need some insulin. Tough call.

Maybe he's just not eating because he misses Rilla?

4. tuckers mom

Reduced dose is probably the way to go.

If he wont start eating soon let us know, we can walk you through syringe feeding if you haven't done that, or maybe we can try other tricks like warming the food to bring out the scent.

5. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

i believe Teddy is on lantus???

i went to the old board and found Rilla's profile and last it said was Lantus.
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/phorum5/p ... php?7,1591

i'll go post on the lantus board just in case, to get some of their eyes over here, but i am with susie and jennifer....reduced dose since eating is being a problem

6. Teddy and caretaker Jessie

It's a 12 hour... The bottle says Lantus, insulin glargine? I don't know if that's helpful.
    Unfortunately, I work until 2 and it's a half hour to get back home.
    He is at my place, and I do think he really misses Rilla.

7. Teddy and caretaker Jessie

Teddy is on lantus still.

My only worry with a reduced dose is that Rilla and I never talked about it, and I don't know how comfortable I feel doing something like that. I know she said that if I can't get ever get a glucose level, then skip the shot but feed like normal. I don't know how that applies to something like this. We didn't talk much about what to do if he just doesn't eat...

8. Marvie and Tugger

Marvie and Tugger Well-Known Member

Try warming up his canned food, either with a bit of warm/hot water or in the microwave for a few seconds (stir well and test before serving of course)

Are there any treats on hand that he really loves? Maybe one or two on his food will get him interested?

I'm no expert but would also go with a reduced dose. What time is it currently where you are? Trying to figure out how many hours you will be away...

9. Marvie and Tugger

Marvie and Tugger Well-Known Member

Lantus has a storage shed, skipping his shot could deplete that and result in higher numbers. Normally we'd shoot half the usual dose or even .5u (the next line above where you normally draw the insulin to 1u) to keep the shed full.

10. Teddy and caretaker Jessie

I've tried almost everything except warming up his canned food (which he gets a bit of, then he gets some thawed raw "barf" with water).

I've tried regular kibble, crunchy treats and bonito flakes. Apparently kibble is one of his favorite things ever since he never gets it, but he wouldn't eat that. He ate a couple bonito flakes...

It's currently almost 7 AM. I have to leave for work in about 10 or 15 minutes... Eep.

11. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA Well-Known Member

Do you have any catnip? A sprinkling of that on top could help. Or some crushed dehydrated chicken, turkey or fish that people use for treats on top?

12. Teddy and caretaker Jessie

So I should try giving him 1 unit, or even .5 units?

13. tuckers mom

I'd shoot the reduced dose, probably 1U, but if you really really aren't comfortable, you have to do what's right for you, the half unit is at least something.

He's been on insulin a long time and his body knows how to handle it. Lantus is a gentle insulin and he really should be able to handle it. Leave food out for him, he may eat when you're not staring at him. Keep him in one room, less things to frighten him and he may eat when thing are quiet.

14. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

Hi,
    I know you have to get out the door or I wouldn't even offer an opinion, but I would go with 0.5 and leave some food out. He may get hungry enough to eat. Will he eat yogurt on his food?

15. Teddy and caretaker Jessie

Alright, I'm going to do about .5 units. He's got his own quiet space and food out almost 24/7. I put some catnip around and on his food, which he took interest in but hasn't eaten yet. Hopefully he'll eat some while I'm gone. Thank you everyone for all your help! I'll keep you all updated.

16. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

It will be fine, I'm sure. Cats just like to get their beans (and their substitute beans) all excited now and then.

17. Susie and Moochie

Susie and Moochie Member

That will be fine! It is scary sometimes with our own kitties and even more with someone else's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.